Re: tip: upgrade to 32

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 21:24:01 -0700
ToddAndMargo via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I provide IT services to small businesses that can not
> afford their own staff.  What I have noticed is that
> Firefox no longer works on business to business portals,
> especially government ones.  And online ordering has
> been impacted too.  You can't finalize and place an
> order on swansonvitamins.com.  The only tech support
> and sales chat service I can get to work is Star Tech's.
> Things are just getting worse and worse.
>
> What I have been doing is installing both Firefox and
> Brave on customer's machines. I tell them if one
> browser does not work, use the other.  I have had to
> make folks default browser Brave due to these issues.
>
> This is sad as I adore Firefox and hate to see it
> dying like this.
>
> The thing is that Firefox is not tolerant of mistakes
> on web sites.  They are purest and think the web site
> should be fixed.  The customers do not care.  Their
> attitude is "either it works or it does not.  Here
> is a quarter, go tell your excuses to someone that
> cares.  I will use what works."  It is harsh, but it
> is also reality.

I run firefox nightly, the development version.  I see hundreds to
thousands of changes to firefox daily.  So it is being actively
maintained and developed.

What you are describing was explained by Tim in another post that you
agreed with.  My take is that you are installing security holes on your
customer's machines.  You should definitely get them to sign a waiver
that you are not responsible for any security breaches.

I *like* that firefox is security conscious.  It warns me so I know
there is a threat, and then gives me the option of continuing or
leaving.  I have control, not some browser developer who decides for me
without my knowledge.

Hey, I get it.  Most people, including small business people, don't care
about security, as long as they get to do what they want, when they
want; it's too much effort and hassle. All we have to look at is the
billions in dollars that black hat hackers extract from them to know
that.  So, you are walking a line between staying in business and
security, and if you don't stay in business, you won't have to worry
about security.  Easy call.