Re: rescue mode needs rescuing!

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 17:22, home user <mattisonw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(replying to my post yesterday at 9:55 PM)

 > I'll try what you [George] suggest tomorrow.

Powered down.
Disconnected speaker and monitors.
Removed sound board and graphics card (difficult!).

I tried to find a place to reconnect one monitor.  Searched front, back,
both sides, and top of the tower.  Searched inside the tower.  I could
not find a place to connect the monitor.  I bought everything in Feb. or
March of 2103.  If there were other cables for the monitors, I seriously
doubt I still have them. I'm not turning the house inside out and upside
down searching for them!

I swear cables are related to snakes and will sneak off to hide in unlikely
places.

The SABERTOOTH_Z77 manual shows both DisplayPort and HDMI rear-panel
ports.   Your geforce-gtx-660 graphics card probably has: One Dual Link DVI-I, One
Dual Link DVI-I, One HDMI, and One DisplayPort, so I guess you were using the DVI
connectors.   If you have access to a TV with HDMI that might work well enough for
tests (my bargain basement Vizio TV makes a shitty monitor but a worse TVI because
TV isn't useful without sound).

Tests abandoned.

Check with friends or your local linux users group to see if you can borrow an
adapter or cable.   Thrift stores sometimes have a box of cables and adapters.

Assuming Samuel is correct that Fedora live spins are not maintained,
and since the problems were observed in the F30 live spin but not (so
far) in the f31 live spin, I conclude filing a bug is useless anyway.

Your graphics card has a fan, so prone to failure after long use.
Nvidia drops support for old cards in new driver releases.   Nouveau
has been more reliable on older cards after Nvidia drops support, but
it can be very useful to have your onboard (Intel HD) graphics available
when you suspect a problem with your driver.   Since you hope to continue
using the system it will be a good investment to buy a cable that lets
you use onboard graphiics.

--
George N. White III