Re: rescue mode needs rescuing!

(On 3/17/20 3:42 PM, Samuel wrote)
> If this was mentioned in a previous email, I missed it.

You did not miss anything (unless I've forgotten some of what I wrote!)

I forgot: Is nouveau the one that come from rpmfusion or the proprietary one?  I have the one that comes from rpmfusion, and is automatically re-compiled almost every week after "dnf --refresh upgrade" is done.

By the way, my f30 and graphics driver are patched within a week of when new patches are made available.  So what I'm using (when booted from the hard drive) is current as of last Thursday.

I searched for a USB-2 stick which I could afford to fully overwrite.  Difficult, but I found one.  Using Fedora MediaWriter, I put the default F31 on it.  Shut down, then booted off it.  (The bios was not in one of them moods.)  I could not reproduce the problems I had earlier, and had no problems shutting down again. But the problems are not consistently reproducible.  (Murphy still lives)  By the way, I didn't write it down, but the f31 image has a version number above 31.0.0.  Samuel: are you sure the live images are never updated?  Wait.  I insert the stick.  At the top of the display, I see the stick described as Fedora-WS-Live-31-1-9.  Is this an update?

On to the netinstall.

Ed and Samuel pointed me to "https://alt.fedoraproject.org";.
Ed: Were you referring to the part of the page titled "Network Installers"?  I see the note there, but no clue on what to do other than downloading a 600MB ISO file. Samuel: Were you referring to the part of the page titled "Everything" and tagged "Experts only!"?  I see no clue on what to do other than downloading a 601MB ISO file.

Before doing a full upgrade (not weekly patches), I get, print, read and study, and even mark up the instructions for that upgrade.  I'm an amateur.  I find it important to seriously prepare. I read a pages of Fedora documentation today looking for how to do a netinstall, or how to make/get a rescue boot.  Found nothing.  Not even links, urls, or references.  Before trying a netinstall to put a rescue boot on my hard drive and in my grub menu, I'd sure like to see detailed instructions on how to do it.  I'm an amateur.  I want to be properly prepared, and know what I'm doing and what is happening and what is not happening.  Can someone please point me to good instructions on how to make an f30 or f31 rescue boot on my hard drive using netinstall?