Re: Printing through a Wifi repeater on a LAN printer using CUPS

On Wed, 2020-03-04 at 17:30 +0700, Frederic Muller wrote:
> Oh yes it supports the mod that I want, except that I am failing to
> connect to the printer probably because of IP routing issues. I was
> in fact expecting the LAN port to connect to the same subnet as if it
> was a Wifi connection to the repeater. Apparently it doesn't work
> this way.
>
> AP mode cannot work as I would need to lay a cable between my router
> and the AP: then I'm better off setting up the cable directly to the
> printer... which I cannot do.

Sorry, I was thinking backwards.  I'm not sure if an access port can
actually work equally bi-directionally.

But there looks like several possible scenarios for using it.

If you're only connecting one thing, then the 2nd (client) mode seems
the most obvious.  It would be acting as an external WiFi adaptor for
something that doesn't have built in WiFi (they list smart TVs, games,
computers, but a printer is just yet another device).

The 3rd mode on that list, as a repeater ought to work (it mentions
that clients can connect to it via WiFi or ethernet).

The 5th mode on that list, WISP sounds like another contender, similar
to the 3rd mode.

Though, in either case, it would depend if it just repeats as a bridge
or simple switch (connects your other WiFi router through itself to the
ethernet port), or if it also interposes itself in the middle as
another router.  Since it has its own inbuilt web-based configuration,
it does look like it might be difficult to have it not behave as a
router in the middle.  It mentions acting as a gateway by default, but
that page doesn't give much detail about using it not as one.

> So my question is how can I connect from 192.168.0.x subnet to
> 192.168.1.x subnet (or specific printer IP) knowing this connection
> doesn't go through my router/firewall (which is on 192.168.0.1).
>
> The repeater IP is currently dynamic (I can probably set it as fixed)
> and falls randomly between 100 to 190, which would be the gateway to
> access the printer. And that's where my routing knowledge tells me
> there is a problem.

Yes, things would be a lot easier to manage if your devices always have
the same address.

Another issue to consider is your original WiFi router.  With one of
mine, its wired ethernet and WiFi can be on different subnets.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.12.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 4 23:02:59 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.