Re: Named GeoIP just got large

On 10/18/19 7:16 PM, Tim via users wrote:
On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 18:22 -0700, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
I renamed it and rebooted.  Named is working normally,
so I got away with it.

Are you using GeoIP based rules in your named.conf file?

No

GeoIP can be used to serve different DNS answers to people based on
their location.  You can already do this by IPs, but GeoIP would mean
*you* didn't have to work out the IP ranges for different parts of the
world.

However, I can't really see this being useful (either technique),
unless people are querying *your* DNS server for your your IP.  Which,
they usually won't be doing.  They'll be using a public DNS server,
which probably didn't get its cached records from your DNS server
running on your PC.

If you were a big multinational (e.g. you were Google), with servers
all over the world, and had masses of traffice, and you wanted to
segregate traffic so local users used their most local servers,
spreading the load around most efficiently, then this kind of thing
would be useful.

Of course GeoIP could be used for other things, but I think GeoIP and
BIND are a waste of time for the average network.  I wish we had an
*easy* to control location service for desktops.  It's annoying that
any time I look for products online, I get an interstate hardware shop
that I have to customise to check the stock of my local stores, instead
(my ISP, like many, is nation-wide, and inaccurate in how they identify
the locations for their client IPs).  And on the other hand, there are
plenty of other websites that want to track my location who don't
deserve that data.  Yes, there are some browser plug-ins for this, but
they're not that convenient, you have to know about them to look for
them, and they don't cover all situations.  For instance, your computer
could set your clock for you properly, fully automatically, if it knew
where you were.