Re: open ssh

Thank you for your answers which provided me with useful basics on how Linux establishes DNS.

However, even reading other documentation, I am still not clear what mechanisms for which a computer becomes accessible in the LAN through its name:

There are two important files: etc / hosts, etc / hostname and a system service <namectl> which are used to manage this problem, but it is not clear to me how (mechanism) they work, collaborate and interact.

There is another aspect of the DSN that I would like to understand better:

The DNS is defined and presented to an unsuspecting reader (also in the Fedora manuals) as a telephone directory which provides the telephone number of each subscriber to a hypothetical phone company OK.

It is said that this telephone directory is modeled as a tree structure at the top of which we find the domains .com, .org, gov, .fr, it, etc. and works as a centralized server of the network that supplies the numbers in correspondence of names … OK, OK….

This type of solution applies to large computer networks of course.

But since this clarification is not explicitly highlighted it can be confusing to a reader who reads the manual for the first time in what context DNS is applied...:

Another is to get the name of a computer in a LAN and other is to create a DNS server .. and context difference (and the different solutions) is not highlighted in the manuals ...:

It was difficult for me and I am still personally bewildered to distinguish which two different contexts may be ...

That is to say ... when to simply use the Linux kernel service and when it can be useful to create a DNS server implemented via BIND.

Thand you

Angelo

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 4:26 PM Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/5/19 3:56 AM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 10/4/19 6:35 AM, George N. White III wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 06:41, Angelo Moreschini <mrangelo.fedora@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mrangelo.fedora@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>

>>     currently I perform operations between different computers in my
>>     local network using open SSH; however, when I do this, I always use
>>     the computer's IP number to reference the host. (ex: sudo ssh
>>     angelo_dev@10.0.0.15 <mailto:angelo_dev@10.0.0.15>)
>>
>>     I'm wondering without yet finding an answer how to do the same thing
>>     using (instead of the IP address) the name of the computer ..
>>     Do I have to Installase BIND? And then what else is needed? ...
>>

>> Have you tried Multicast DNS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS>?    See mDNS on Fedora Linux <https://fedoramagazine.org/find-systems-easily-lan-mdns/>
>
> This is what I was just going to suggest.  You need to set on each computer a unique hostname with "hostnamectl" and make sure that avahi is running.  On the computer you're connecting from, make sure you have "nss-mdns" installed (I don't know if it is by default).  Then you can use "<myhostname>.local" to connect.  If you don't set a hostname, I think the default is "linux", so you end up with linux.local, linux-2.local, etc.

One thing to be aware of, and not mentioned in the fedora magazine article is you happen to
have a network with some hosts using IPv6 only you need to change the nsswitch.conf
host line to mdns_minimal instead of mdns4_minimal.

--
If simple questions can be answered with a simple google query then why are there so many of them?