Re: F30 Thunderbird format question

On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 17:20 -0600, Joe Zeff wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, html never belongs in emails, only on web
> pages.  Plain text is the only format I consider acceptable for
> email.

I tend to agree, but would swing the other way if it was done right.
But it never will be, because the general public doesn't know how to
use HTML, and nor do the email program coders.

Don't believe that?  Look at the source code for an HTML message, and
it's stuffed full of crap that doesn't need to be there.  In the past,
that would be a complaint for message size, alone (which is less of an
issue now we've gone past dial-up and tiny storage space), but more
complexity is more chances for stuff-ups and malicious coding.

Yesterday I posted a very long post with comments between pastes of
logs.  That would have been easier to read if I posted in HTML, marking
out the log snippets separately from my comments.  Trying to do that in
plain text is hard, line wrapping makes a mess of pasted log files (or
code, and many other things).  On just one point alone, you can't
easily indent long lines without falling foul of wrapping, if you
wanted to do that to make the pastings get out of the way of reading
the prose.

Blockquotes with cites could unscramble the mess of replying with a
quote, and knowing who original wrote it.  But again, mail clients
don't do that, and people wouldn't understand how to use it.

Being able to use a proper list, would aid in legibility, particularly
with largish content.  Instead of manually typing in asterisks or
dashs, manually adding spaces, tabs, and carriage returns to emulate
one.  Which all goes awry when quoted and re-flowed, or just badly line
-breaked.

Example, just above.  My email program doesn't know that a hyphenated
word spread across two lines ought to have the hyphen at the end of the
line it breaks at, not at the beginning of the next one.  And none of
them manage sane wrapping of content when it's typed by people who
don't know that there is no space between opening brackets and their
contents, and none between contents and closing brackets.

i.e. Ignoring computer coding practices, when you type *prose* this is
the ( wrong ) and (correct) way to type brackets around text.  Type
that wrong, and cross the end of a line, the computer will not wrap it
well.  It's just hideous to try and read something splattered about
like that, it makes it look like an 8 year old typed it.

We have plain text mail clients doing all sorts of parsing gymnastics
trying to not to mangle plain text (i.e. the rewrapping that some of
them do when quoting), or just making an unreadable pile of crap out of
prior quotes.

The ability to show a screen grab, or any other kind of illustration,
alongside the commentary about it would be useful, instead of an email
with a series of see attachment 2, kind of notes spread throughout it.