Re: Migrating RAID1 to new system

On 11Jul2019 08:17, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However, the RAID arrangement is proprietry and different to mdadm
and/or LVM. OTOH, I did once spent an hour on the phone with a very
helpful LSI engineer trying to rescue one here.

So, using the LSI in JOB (just a bunch of discs) mode, yes?

No, I believe it's RAID5 - 8x240GB.

I thought you said earlier that it was managed with mdadm, so I took it to be a JBOD in the LSI controlled and a RAID5 in mdadm.
I'm planning on replacing those disks with 4x1TB disks, which would
work on the onboard controllers. I still can't decide whether to
continue to use the LSI controller.

Your call. They're a bit more directly visible and manageable under mdadm. If you're not using the LSI controller then the drives can also be physically moved to a machine with no LSI controller should that become necessary (thinking DR here; but you've got backups?)

Actually, if I did use the onboard, I could use mdadm, take the system
down to perform the initial install, and sync the data from the LSI
disks while the system is running, then shut it down briefly to do the
final sync after the bulk of the data has transferred.

Yes, that would work I think. Which would migrate you off the LSI controller, yes? To pure mdadm with on board SATA?

The LSI stuff is pretty good in my experience. Ran them in several IBM
boxes and also at home for years.

I am inclined to believe it will perform better than mdadm.

It should. The OS sees one drive for the raidset and does one I/O for a write; the other I/O to the individual drives is done by the LSI controller. If mdadm manages the RAID it must update each backend drive itself from the OS.

It doesn't change the underlying physical drive behaviour, but it moves managing the RAID and the writes requires out of the OS.

>Using the LSI makes me nervous - there have been one or two times when
>I almost lost the array, but I'll probably keep using it.

The important thing is to be able to monitor them. I've some scripts for
that - put them in a 5 minute cronjob. Or in your monitoring system eg
nagios. Then you will get timely emails if a problem occurs.

That sounds awesome. Do you know where I can find those scripts? I
forgot they used to be referred to as megaraid.

I've attached "mcli" and "nagios-report-mcli". "mcli" invokes the cs.app.megacli python module conveniently. The nagios script wraps mcli and produces a nagios compatible status line.

I wrote the cs.app.megacli Python module for this (see PyPI) and have
some small auxiliary scripts which wrap it.

Can you forward it on?

The module is here:

 https://pypi.org/project/cs.app.megacli/

It is Python 2 specific because historically it needed to run on the native Python of some RHEL4 and RHEL5 machines. I've a TODO to make a Python 3 version.

Install is "pip install cs.app.megacli". Or use the python file I've also attached.

This is dependent on the LSI MegaRAID Linux software. Which you used to be able to download, but I can't find a download for it any more. I can ship you an RPM or a tarball of the unpacked tree for x86_64 separately. The Python code expects this installed at /opt/MegaRAID.

I have another system on the same network with like 7TB of data
available. I'm thinking that I sync a copy of the user data to that
system, and create a virtual machine on that system with the mail
server config that somehow mounts the directory on the host system.

You could make a virtual drive for the VM in the usual way (distinct from the VM's OS virtual drive). Copy to it via the VM. You could NFS mount the original system's volume to the VM and do a regular cp-then-rsync.

Disable the production system and change the IP of the virtual machine
to assume that of the mail server.

Maybe allocate a service IP for the mail system instead (just an extra IP _not_ officially assigned to a particular physical machine). _Add_ it to the original system well ahead of the move. Update DNS for the mail to point at the service address (hoping your clients use a logical name like "mail" or "smtp" etc, not the personal hostname of the mail system). Wait for all connections to be using the service address.

When the new address is in play, sync your replacement VM. (Of course, get the copy and a mostly-sync underway while this is playing out.)

Users will then access this
temporary system while I rebuild the production system and transfer
back the data.

At cutover: down the mail services. Sync latest volume state to the VM (from the VM so that it can be root at the VM end). Drop the service address from the main machine, add it to the VM. Do final sync. Check things, then bring up mail services on the VM.

Once the initial bulk transfer has occurred, shut down services on the
virtual machine and sync the remaining user data back to the
production system.

Yep. And move the service address back.

Does this sound feasible?

I think so. I'd get it all down on paper (or a text file) as a complete sequence of operations. There's nothing like writing down a plan to discover a gaping procedural gap. Especially if someone else then reviews the plan for you.

I'd also make sure I had a separate backup of the big filesystem anyway eg on a removable drive (or so); I have a lot of paranoia about production data.

For added fun, the VM can be your proof of concept for the OS upgrade as well: install it with the same OS etc you're intending for the main machine. That way you can get any bugs or surprises out before committing to the main machine upgrade.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>
#!/bin/sh -ue
#
# Emit a Nagios report for the MegaRAID hardware RAID state.
#       - Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> 24oct2008
#

usage="Usage: $0"

[ $# = 0 ] || { echo "$usage" >&2; exit 2; }

PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
. /opt/css/env.sh

mcli status \
| \
{ good=1
  summary=
  while read ok adapter errors
  do
    case "$ok" in
      OK)   summary="$summary $adapter[OK]" ;;
      *)    good= summary="$summary $adapter[$errors]" ;;
    esac
  done
  if [ $good ]
  then
    echo "OK: $summary"
  else
    echo "CRITICAL: $summary"
  fi
}
#!/bin/sh
#
# Convenience wrapper for command line form of cs.app.megacli.
#       - Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>
#

set -ue
[ -t 2 ] && set -x
exec python2 -c 'import sys; import cs.app.megacli; sys.argv[0]="mcli"; sys.exit(cs.app.megacli.main(sys.argv))' ${1+"$@"}
#!/usr/bin/python
#
# Convenience routines to access MegaRAID adapters via the megacli
# command line tool.
# - Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> 29jan2013
#

r'''
Command line tool to inspect and manipulate LSI MegaRAID adapters,
such as used in IBM ServeRAID systems and Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC).

Many IBM xSeries servers come with LSI Logic MegaRAID RAID controllers, under the name IBM ServerRAID.
These controllers are also used by Dell as Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC).

These can be accessed during the machine boot process via the BIOS screens
using a conventional BIOS-like text interface or a ghastly and painful to use
GUI interface. However, either of these requires the machine OS to be down.

The RAID adapters can also be accessed while the machine OS is up.
For Linux, IBM offer a set of command line tools named MegaCLI_, which are installed in `/opt/MegaRAID`.
Unfortunately, their MegaCLI executable is both fiddly to invoke and, in its reporting mode,
produces a barely human readable report which is quite hostlie to machine parsing.
I would surmise that someone was told to dump the adapter data in text form,
and did so with an ad hoc report; it is pages long and arduous to inspect by eye.

The situation was sufficiently painful that I wrote this module
which runs a couple of the report modes and parses their output.
It is deliberately python 2.4 compatible so that it can run on RHEL 5 systems.

Report Mode
-----------

The "report" mode then dumps a short summary report of relevant information
which can be eyeballed immediately;
RAID configuration and issues are immediately apparent.
Here is an example output
(the "+" tracing lines are on stderr
and recite the underlying MegaCLI commands used):

    # mcli report
    + exec py26+ -m cs.app.megacli report
    + exec /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -CfgDsply -aAll
    + exec /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -PDlist -aAll
    Adapter 0 IBM ServeRAID-MR10i SAS/SATA Controller serial# Pnnnnnnnnn
      Virtual Drive 0
        2 drives, size = 278.464GB, raid = Primary-1, Secondary-0, RAID Level Qualifier-0
          physical drive enc252.devid8 [252:0]
          physical drive enc252.devid7 [252:1]
      4 drives:
        enc252.devid7 [252:1]: VD 0, DG None: 42D0628 279.396 GB, Online, Spun Up
        enc252.devid8 [252:0]: VD 0, DG None: 81Y9671 279.396 GB, Online, Spun Up
        enc252.devid2 [252:2]: VD None, DG None: 42D0628 279.396 GB, Unconfigured(good), Spun Up
        enc252.devid3 [252:3]: VD None, DG None: 42D0628 279.396 GB, Unconfigured(good), Spun Up

Status Mode
-----------

The "status" mode recites the RAID status in a series of terse one line summaries;
we use its output in our nagios monitoring.
Here is an example output (the "+" tracing lines are on stderr,
and recite the underlying MegaCLI commands used):

    # mcli status
    + exec py26+ -m cs.app.megacli status
    + exec /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -CfgDsply -aAll
    + exec /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -PDlist -aAll
    OK A0

Locate Mode
-----------

The "locate" mode prints a MegaCLI command line
which can be used to activate or deactivate the location LED on a specific drive.
Here is an example output:

    # mcli locate 252:4
    /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -PdLocate -start -physdrv[252:4] -a0

    # mcli locate 252:4 stop
    /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -PdLocate -stop -physdrv[252:4] -a0

New_RAID Mode
-------------
The "new_raid" mode prints a MegaCLI command line
which can be used to instruct the adapter to assemble a new RAID set.

MegaCLI class
-------------

The module provides a MegaCLI class which embodies the parsed information
from the MegaCLI reporting modes.
This can be imported and used for special needs.

.. _MegaCLI: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5082327
'''

import os
import re
import sys
from subprocess import call, Popen, PIPE

DISTINFO = {
    'keywords': ["python2"],
    'classifiers': [
        "Programming Language :: Python",
        "Programming Language :: Python :: 2",
        ],
    'entry_points': {
      'console_scripts': [
          'mcli = cs.app.megacli:main',
          ],
        },
}

cmd = __file__

USAGE = '''Usage:
    %s locate enc_slot [{start|stop}]
    %s new_raid raid_level enc:devid...
    %s offline enc_slot
    %s report
    %s save save_file
    %s status'''

# default location of MegaCLI executable
MEGACLI = '/opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64'

mode_CFGDSPLY = 0       # -CfgDsply mode
mode_PDLIST = 1         # -PDlist mode

re_SPEED = re.compile('^(\d+(\.\d+)?)\s*(\S+)$')

def main(argv=None):
  global cmd_old
  if argv is None:
    argv = sys.argv
  argv = list(argv)
  cmd = argv.pop(0)
  cmd_old = []
  usage = USAGE % (cmd, cmd, cmd, cmd, cmd, cmd)

  badopts = False

  # default adapter number
  adapter = 0

  if not argv:
    warning("missing command")
    badopts = True
  else:
    command = argv.pop(0)

  if not badopts:
    xit = 0

    M = MegaRAID()

    if command == "report":
      for An in M.adapters:
        A = M.adapters[An]
        print "Adapter", An, A.product_name, "serial#", A.serial_no
        for Vn, V in A.virtual_drives.items():
          print "  Virtual Drive", Vn
          print "    %s: %d drives, size = %s%s, raid = %s" % (V.state, len(V.physical_disks), V.size, V.size_units, V.raid_level)
          for DRVn, DRV in V.physical_disks.items():
            print "      physical drive %s[%s] %s" % (DRV.id, DRV.enc_slot, DRV.firmware_state)
        print "  %d drives:" % (len(A.physical_disks),)
        for DRV in A.physical_disks.values():
          print "    %s [%s]: VD %s, DG %s: %s %s %s, %s" % (DRV.id, DRV.enc_slot,
                                                             getattr(DRV, 'virtual_drive', O(number=None)).number,
                                                             getattr(DRV, 'disk_group', O(number=None)).number,
                                                             DRV.fru, DRV.raw_size, DRV.raw_size_units,
                                                             DRV.firmware_state
                                                            ),
          try:
            count = DRV.media_error_count
          except AttributeError:
            pass
          else:
            if count:
              print ", media errors %s" % count,
          try:
            count = DRV.other_error_count
          except AttributeError:
            pass
          else:
            if count:
              print ", other errors %s" % count,
          print
    elif command == "save":
      save_file, = argv
      if save_raid(save_file) != 0:
        xit = 1
    elif command == "locate":
      enc_slot = argv.pop(0)
      if argv:
        do_start = argv.pop(0)
        if do_start == "start":
          do_start = True
        elif do_start == "stop":
          do_start = False
        else:
          warning("locate: bad start/stop setting: %r", do_start)
          badopts = True
        if argv:
          warning("locate: extra arguments after start/stop: %s", ' '.join(argv))
          badopts = True
      else:
        do_start = True
      if not badopts:
        M.locate(adapter, enc_slot, do_start)
    elif command == "offline":
      enc_slot = argv.pop(0)
      if argv:
        warning("locate: extra arguments after start/stop: %s", ' '.join(argv))
        badopts = True
      if not badopts:
        M.offline(adapter, enc_slot)
    elif command == "new_raid":
      if len(argv) < 2:
        warning("new_raid: missing raid_level or drives")
        badopts = True
      else:
        level = int(argv.pop(0))
        if M.new_raid(level, argv, adapter=adapter) != 0:
          xit = 1
    elif command == "status":
      for An in M.adapters:
        adapter_errs = []
        A = M.adapters[An]
        for DRV in A.physical_disks.values():
          firmware_state = getattr(DRV, 'firmware_state', 'UNKNOWN')
          if firmware_state not in ( "Online, Spun Up", "Unconfigured(good), Spun Up"):
            adapter_errs.append("drive:%s[%s]/VD:%s/%s"
                                % (DRV.id, DRV.enc_slot,
                                   getattr(DRV, 'virtual_drive', O(number=None)).number,
                                   DRV.firmware_state))
        if adapter_errs:
          print "FAIL A%d %s" % (An, ",".join(adapter_errs))
        else:
          print "OK A%d" % (An,)
    else:
      error("unsupported command")
      xit = 1

  if badopts:
    print >>sys.stderr, usage
    return 2

  return xit

class O(object):

  def __init__(self, **kw):
    for attr, value in kw.items():
      setattr(self, attr, value)
    self._O_omit = []

class MegaRAID(O):

  def __init__(self, megacli=None):
    if megacli is None:
      megacli = os.environ.get('MEGACLI', MEGACLI)
    self.megacli = megacli

  @property
  def adapters(self):
    ''' Mapping of adapter numbers to Adapters.
    '''
    return self.info.adapters

  @property
  def info(self):
    ''' Read various megacli query command outputs and construct a
        data structure with the adpater information.
    '''
    Mconfigured = self._parse(['-CfgDsply', '-aAll'], mode_CFGDSPLY)
    # record physical drives by id (_NB: _not_ enclosure/slot)
    for A in Mconfigured.adapters.values():
      for V in A.virtual_drives.values():
        for VDRVn, DRV in V.physical_disks.items():
          if DRV.id in A.physical_disks:
            error("VD drive %d: %s already in A.physical_disks", VDRVn)
          else:
            A.physical_disks[DRV.id] = DRV

    cmd_append("merge CfgDsply/PDlist")
    Mphysical = self._parse(['-PDlist', '-aAll'], mode_PDLIST)
    for A in Mphysical.adapters.values():
      disks = Mconfigured.adapters[A.number].physical_disks
      for DRVid, DRV in A.physical_disks.items():
        cmd_append(str(DRVid))
        if DRVid in disks:
          D("%s: merge PDlist DRV with Mconfigured DRV", DRVid)
          merge_attrs(disks[DRVid], **DRV.__dict__)
        else:
          D("%s: add new DRV to Mconfigured", DRVid)
          disks[DRVid] = DRV
        cmd_pop()
      D("Mphysical merged")
    cmd_pop()

    return Mconfigured

  def _parse(self, megacli_args, mode):
    ''' Generic parser for megacli output.
        Update
    '''
    cmd_append("megacli " + " ".join(megacli_args))
    M = O(adapters={})
    A = None
    V = None
    SP = None
    DG = None
    DRV = None
    o = None
    for mlineno, line in enumerate(self.readcmd(*megacli_args), 1):
      if not line.endswith('\n'):
        raise ValueError("%d: missing newline" % (mlineno,))
      line = line.rstrip()
      if not line:
        continue
      if line.startswith('======='):
        continue
      if ( line == 'Virtual Drive Information:'
        or line == 'Physical Disk Information:'
         ):
        o = None
        continue
      if line.startswith('Adapter #'):
        An = int(line[9:])
        A = Adapter(number=An, physical_disks={})
        M.adapters[An] = A
        o = A
        continue
      if ': ' in line:
        heading, info = line.split(': ', 1)
      elif ' :' in line:
        heading, info = line.split(' :', 1)
      elif line.endswith(':'):
        heading = line[:-1]
        info = ''
      elif ':' in line:
        heading, info = line.split(':', 1)
      else:
        warning("unparsed line: %s", line)
        continue
      heading = heading.rstrip()
      info = info.lstrip()
      attr = heading.lower().replace(' ', '_').replace('.','').replace("'",'').replace('/','_')
      try:
        n = int(info)
      except ValueError:
        pass
      else:
        info = n
      if mode == mode_CFGDSPLY:
        if heading == 'Adapter':
          An = info
          ##D("new adapter %d", An)
          A = M.adapters[info] = Adapter(number=An, disk_groups={}, physical_disks={}, virtual_drives={})
          o = A
          continue
        if heading == 'DISK GROUP':
          DGn = info
          ##D("new disk_group %d", DGn)
          A.disk_groups[DGn] = Disk_Group(adapter=A, number=DGn, spans={})
          DG = A.disk_groups[DGn]
          o = DG
          continue
        if heading == 'SPAN':
          SPn = info
          ##D("new span %d", SPn)
          DG.spans[SPn] = Span(disk_group=DG, number=SPn, arms={})
          SP = DG.spans[SPn]
          o = SP
          continue
        if heading == 'Virtual Drive':
          Vn, Tn = info.split(' (Target Id: ', 1)
          Vn = int(Vn)
          Tn = int(Tn[:-1])
          ##D("new virtual drive %d (target id %d)", Vn, Tn)
          V = A.virtual_drives[Vn] = Virtual_Drive(adapter=A, number=Vn, physical_disks={})
          o = V
          continue
        if heading == 'Physical Disk':
          DRVn = info
          ##D("new physical disk %d", DRVn)
          DRV = Physical_Disk(virtual_drive=V, number=DRVn, adapter=A)
          V.physical_disks[DRVn] = DRV
          DRV.virtual_drive = V
          o = DRV
          continue
      if mode == mode_PDLIST:
        if heading == 'Enclosure Device ID':
          # new physical drive commences,
          # do housekeeping for previous drive and then proceed
          if DRV is not None:
            DRVid = DRV.id
            cmd_append("merge previous DRV %s", DRVid)
            if DRVid in A.physical_disks:
              merge_attrs(A.physical_disks[DRV.id], **DRV.__dict__)
            else:
              A.physical_disks[DRV.id] = DRV
            cmd_pop()
          DRV = Physical_Disk()
          o = DRV
      if attr in ('size', 'mirror_data', 'strip_size'):
        size, size_units = info.split()
        setattr(o, attr+'_units', size_units)
        info = float(size)
      elif attr in ('raw_size', 'non_coerced_size', 'coerced_size'):
        size, size_units, sectors = info.split(None, 2)
        setattr(o, attr+'_units', size_units)
        if sectors.startswith('[0x') and sectors.endswith(' Sectors]'):
          setattr(o, attr+'_sectors', int(sectors[3:-9], 16))
        else:
          warning("invalid sectors: %s", sectors)
        info = float(size)
      elif attr.endswith('_speed'):
        m = re_SPEED.match(info)
        if m:
          speed, speed_units = m.group(1), m.group(3)
          setattr(o, attr+'_units', speed_units)
          info = float(speed)
        elif info != "Unknown":
          warning("failed to match re_SPEED against: %s", info)
      elif attr in ('default_cache_policy', 'current_cache_policy'):
        info = info.split(', ')
      elif attr == 'drives_postion':
        DPOS = O()
        for posinfo in info.split(', '):
          dposk, dposv = posinfo.split(': ')
          setattr(DPOS, dposk.lower(), int(dposv))
        attr = 'drive_position'
        info = DPOS
      elif info == 'Yes':
        info = True
      elif info == 'No':
        info = False
      ##D("%s.%s = %s", o.__class__.__name__, attr, info)
      if o is None:
        error("o is None, not setting .%s to %r", attr, info)
      else:
        setattr(o, attr, info)
      continue

      # catch trailing drive
      if mode == mode_PDLIST:
        if DRV is not None:
          DRVid = DRV.id
          D("PDLIST: note physical drive %s", DRVid)
          cmd_append("final merge previous DRV %s", DRVid)
          if DRVid in A.physical_disks:
            merge_attrs(A.physical_disks[DRV.id], **DRV.__dict__)
          else:
            A.physical_disks[DRV.id] = DRV
          cmd_pop()

    cmd_pop()
    return M

  def locate(self, adapter, enc_slot, do_start=True):
    ''' Start or stop to location light on the specified drive.
    '''
    if do_start:
      start_opt = '-start'
    else:
      start_opt = '-stop'
    return self.docmd('-PdLocate',
                      start_opt,
                      '-physdrv[%s]' % (enc_slot,),
                      '-a%d' % (adapter,),
                     )

  def offline(self, adapter, enc_slot):
    ''' Take a drive offline (==> failed).
    '''
    return self.docmd('-PDOffline',
                      '-physdrv[%s]' % (enc_slot,),
                      '-a%d' % (adapter,),
                     )

  def new_raid(self, level, enc_slots, adapter=0):
    ''' Construct a new RAID device with specified RAID `level` on
        `adapter` using the devices specified by `enc_slots`.
    '''
    ## RAID 6 example: -CfgLdAdd -r6 [0:0,0:1,0:2,0:3,0:4,0:5,0:6] -a1
    ok = True
    cmd_append("#%d", adapter)
    if adapter not in self.adapters:
      error("unknown adapter")
      ok = False
    else:
      A = self.adapters[adapter]
      for enc_slot in enc_slots:
        cmd_append(str(enc_slot))
        DRV = A.DRV_by_enc_slot(enc_slot)
        if DRV is None:
          error("unknown disk")
          ok = False
        else:
          if DRV.firmware_state != 'Unconfigured(good), Spun Up':
            error("rejecting drive, firmware state not unconfigured good: %s", DRV.firmware_state)
            ok = False
          else:
            D("acceptable drive: %s", DRV.firmware_state)
        cmd_pop()
    cmd_pop()
    if not ok:
      return False
    return self.docmd('-CfgLdAdd', '-r%d' % (level,), "[" + ",".join(enc_slots) + "]", '-a%d' % (adapter,))

  def readcmd(self, *args):
    ''' Open a pipe from the megacli command and yield lines from its output.
    '''
    cmdargs = [self.megacli] + list(args)
    D("+ %r", cmdargs)
    P = Popen(cmdargs, stdout=PIPE, close_fds=True)
    for line in P.stdout:
      yield line
    P.wait()

  def docmd(self, *args):
    ''' Pretend to execute a megacli command as specified.
        This currently just echoes commands to stderr; I fear running
        the "new raid" stuff etc automatically.
        Return True if the exit code is 0, False otherwise.
    '''
    cmdargs = [self.megacli] + list(args)
    D("%r", cmdargs)
    ## return call(cmdargs) == 0
    return True

  def adapter_save(self, adapter, save_file):
    savepath = "%s-a%d" % (save_file, adapter)
    if os.path.exists(save_file):
      error("file exists: %s", savepath)
      return False
    return self.docmd('-CfgSave', '-f', save_file, '-a%d' % (adapter,))

class Adapter(O):
  def DRV_by_enc_slot(self, enc_slot):
    ''' Find first matching drive by enclosure id and slot number.
        Report errors on multiple matches - serious misconfiguration.
        Returns None if no match.
    '''
    DRV = None
    for aDRV in self.physical_disks.values():
      if aDRV.enc_slot == enc_slot:
        if DRV is None:
          DRV = aDRV
        else:
          error("Adapter #%d: DRV_by_enc_slot(%s): multiple enc_slot matches: %s vs %s",
                self.number, enc_slot, DRV.id, aDRV.id)
    return DRV

class Virtual_Drive(O):
  def __init__(self, **kw):
    O.__init__(self, **kw)
    self._O_omit.append('adapter')
class Disk_Group(O):
  def __init__(self, **kw):
    O.__init__(self, **kw)
    self._O_omit.append('adapter')
class Span(O):
  pass
class Physical_Disk(O):

  def __init__(self, **kw):
    self.enclosure_device_id = None
    self.device_id = None
    self.slot_number = None
    self.firmware_state = "UNKNOWN"
    self.ibm_fru_cru = None
    self.raw_size = None
    self.raw_size_units = None
    O.__init__(self, **kw)

  @property
  def id(self):
    ''' Unique identifier for drive, regrettably not what the megacli
        wants to use.
    '''
    return "enc%s.devid%s" % (self.enclosure_device_id, self.device_id)

  @property
  def enc_slot(self):
    ''' Identifier used by megacli, regretably not unique if enclosure
        misconfigure/misinstalled.
    '''
    return "%s:%s" % (self.enclosure_device_id, self.slot_number)
  @property
  def fru(self):
    return self.ibm_fru_cru
class Disk_Port(O):
  pass

def cmd_append(msg, *a):
  global cmd, cmd_old
  if msg:
    msg = msg % a
  cmd_old.append(cmd)
  cmd += ": " + msg

def cmd_pop():
  global cmd, cmd_old
  cmd = cmd_old.pop()

def merge_attrs(o, **kw):
  for attr, value in kw.items():
    if not len(attr) or not attr[0].isalpha():
      D(".%s: ignoring, does not start with a letter", attr)
      continue
    try:
      ovalue = getattr(o, attr)
    except AttributeError:
      # new attribute
      setattr(o, attr, value)
    else:
      if ovalue != value:
        D("%s: %s: %r => %r", o, attr, ovalue, value)

debug = os.environ.get('DEBUG')
if debug:
  def D(msg, *a):
    message(msg, sys.stderr, "debug", *a)