Re: Restarting Display Manager

On 06Jul2019 12:30, Javier Perez <pepebuho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it possible to restart display manager without killing all the apps open?
Nouveau has a tendency to crash more often that I like and each time it
does it, i restart display manager. Each time a restart it, all the apps
are killed.

1. Is there a way to restart Nouveau without having to restart display
manager?

I doubt it, but I don't know.

2. Is there a way to restart display manager while keeping the apps alive?
I guess not because the apps depend on display manager but I wonder if such
a thing is feasible.

Well. In the simple case, no. Restarting the display manager exits and restarts the X11 server, and your apps are connected to the X11 server. Unless they treat the X11 view as a true service (none do) the best you get is apps which record their state and try to restore that when you start the app again. But it is a new app instance.

You _might_ consider treating the display like tmux (or screen), the terminal session managers.

Run a headless Xvnc or Xvfb X11 server with the VNC service enabled. Connect your apps to that. That way they're connected to a long lived X11 server.

Then connect to that X11 server's VNC service with a full screen VNC viewer in your desktop X11 server. Ideally you make both servers have the same screen resolution and colour depth, and run the viewer full screen.

That way when you restart your desktop X11 the headless X11 is unaffected - you log back in and restart the viewer and continue your life.

In an ideal world there would be a way to access the individual windows in the headless server and present then as independent windows in your desktop. I don't know if such a proxy for X11 exists though; I'd love to hear that it does.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>