Re: UID and GID on F30

On 6/22/19 12:16 PM, Tim via users wrote:
> But, yes, before posting that I didn't know what they were, I had read
> the package info, and it didn't particularly leave me any wiser.
>
> $ dnf info openvswitch

> and support for the OpenFlow protocol for remote per-flow control of
> traffic.
>
> Doesn't really tell me if that's some feature of networking that I
> might be making use of without knowing about it.

OpenFlow is the protocol which allows one to remotely administer network switches of
disparate vendors.

So, unless that is what you're setting out to do you don't need it.

> $ dnf info libhugetlbfs  (with the missing "s" on the end of it)
>
> Description  : libhugetlbfs is a library which provides easy access to
> huge pages of memory. It is a wrapper for the hugetlbfs file system.
> Applications can use huge pages to fulfill malloc() requests without
> being recompiled by using LD_PRELOAD. Alternatively, applications can
> be linked against libhugetlbfs without source modifications to load BSS
> or BSS, data, and text segments into large pages.
>
> Likewise, I can't tell, from that, whether it's a feature that my OS is
> making use of at the moment, or might be at some time.

Well, since it is a library then it would only be used by processes/programs which require
the library.

So, if you would do a "dnf erase libhugetlbf" it would also offer to erase anything
depending on it.  That will tell you if it is "needed".

>> The second was to confirm that those packages were the ones that
>> consumed the GID which was wanted.
> Between your posts, and poking around with dnf and rpm queries, I
> seemed to cleared up the problem with setting the computer on fire.

Yes, that's good.

--
Right: I dislike the default color scheme Wrong: What idiot picked the default color scheme