Re: Laptop and only 100% and 200% monitor scaling shown

On 13May2019 02:29, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2019 08:54:36 +1000
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Doesn't scaling your display inherently involve blurring the stuff
rendered on it?

In my case, not visibly, no. My 3200x1800 scaled up 1.5 times on a
15-inch laptop display looks just great.

Hmm, interesting.

However, I believe this depends on the hardware you have, the scaling
algorithm for the relative resolutions you use, and of course your
eyes. :-)

I suspect Apple try quite hard at that; in fact using a native resolution on my Mac requires a nonApple app to access the mode (it isn't forbidden, just not directly offered).

Fortunately my eye impairment is mostly distance. Up close is dimishing slowly, but it is still fairly good. I'm using Monaco 9, which seems to be about 8x16 pixels in size on a 2880x1800 15" screen.

My own tendency is to adjust the settings so that I'm using a font my
eyes like; everything else is generally as small as possible (to get
maximum stuff on the screen) - even the font is as small as my eyes
will deal with.

In how many places you need to resize the fonts, to have everything
appear correctly? Do you use apps from both the Gnome and KDE world
simultaneously (I do)? It seems to me that setting one slider is far
easier than manually resizing a whole bunch of font sizes.

Fair enough, though my screen is usually 100% terminals and/or a web browser.

How about the scroll-bars, are they wide enough to easily point to?

Happily on a Mac, I can make the scroll bars almost universally hidden. I usually scroll with the touch pad or the page up/down key. I hate pointing at scroll bars, and hide them in X11 as well.

Do
you do any manual resizing of windows, i.e., is it easy to point to the
low-right corner of the window to engage the resizing?

I almost always size to fixed screen proportions (full screen, half screen, quarter screen, etc, all with keystrokes). Same in X11 land.

Most Mac apps just want you to be within about 0.5cm of a corner to drag it for resize. In X11 I use FVWM configured to resize with Alt-drag, so there's no need to aim very hard at a corner, as I recall.

I agree that the screen space is a premium on laptops, but I tend to
solve that problem by using multiple workspaces/screens (typically
eight) and having only one app in fullscreen in each. More than enough
room for everything. ;-)

I wish. On the rare occasions when I have multiple screens I do tend to puts browsers and doco (and possible the running instance of what I'm working on) on the secondary screen, with terminals on the main screen.

On the laptop I tend to work with the screen apportioned in halves: either a terminal in both (often subdivided), or a browser in one half.

Things that go to better screen use include multiple desktops (named in X11, less flexibly in MacOS), and the very cool MacOS "hide app" keystroke, great for getting one app (or _all_ other apps) hidden, giving the whole desktop for on thing, usually the terminal. A hidden app comes back as soon as you switch to it, eg Cmd-Tab.

Also, on a given desktop (eg desk 3, my "personal coding" desktop), mutliple terminal tabs make it easy to have a tab per codebase, etc.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>