Re: new Ask Fedora site

On 3/5/19 3:01 pm, Joe Zeff wrote:
There was a time when Shift-Reload would force it to get a new copy of everything, but that doesn't seem to make a difference anymore.
I can't recall which browsers that worked with.
And, to be honest, I've no idea if that made the browser do new DNS lookups as well.

It probably never did.?? WWW IPs weren't really meant to change that much, so it never was much of a consideration.?? Doesn't help you, though, when working within a LAN, where IPs can be changed by automated systems for ill-considered reasons.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding with browser programmers.?? They may think we just want to refresh because the page didn't layout logically, and it might do better if poked a bit.?? But under what circumstances is that actually a logical process??? If a page failed to render sensibly, usually that would be because either the browser is faulty, or some of the data is missing.

A page reload is far more likely to be used because the user has struck a failure, and wants to reset the page from scratch.

Though, in the past, with our tragically slow internet, repeatedly hitting refresh had been about the only way to get some pages to load.?? Our country having such a slow internet that some sites would simply abort with timeouts when pages had lots of images that couldn't fully load within the limits of its patience.?? If the whole thing didn't load within some stupidly quick timeframe, it'd cut you off.?? You'd have a page with half-loaded and unloaded images all over the place.

So browsers with a reload, and a more forceful shift-reload feature, were actually useful.