Re: Feature request: pre-tweaking

(Re:  *my* installing rather than upgrading)

On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 11:46 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> It can take a while certainly, but any compatibility problems I've
> had tend to be because of packages changing between versions, and
> that's the same whether you upgrade or reinstall (I assume you don't
> wipe all your ~/.config or ~/.local when doing this).

Actually, I like to do complete fresh starts.

I used to do a HDD swap for a new install.  Rip out the old one,
install on a new one (which avoids the common problem of accidentally
installing on the wrong one).  Plug the old one in as a second drive in
case I wanted anything from it.  But since I stopped keeping things on
client's disk drives, there's been less need to do that.

I don't customise my installs much.  I used to be Gnome, now it's Mate,
with little beyond the default configuration (e.g. a plain screen
background, without pictures, remove a few auto-starting things from
the session manager).  I'd tried KDE, but that comes with a huge amount
of baggage, a plethora of unhelpfully named applications that I don't
even use, and a gazillion annoying configuration options (not to
mention I can't stand its defaults).  So that can easily start with a
blank slate.

My mail is on an IMAP server, so new mail clients just need to set up
the details for email addresses (email addresses, server names).  It's
less horsing around to enter them in than trying to export/import
configurations.

I'd given up on web browser bookmarks years ago (good for recalling an
address for a couple of days, then a nightmare of scads ancient links
that really should be culled), now I use the history search feature.  I
only use about one plugin - a noscript one.  My ad-blocking was done in
the DNS server (I create deadzones for annoying advert farms, so
there's no IP for the browser to find, never mind connect to).  And I
use very few websites that need logging in to.

I keep some VIM customisation files on the server, and just import them
into new clients.

That's pretty much it, for me.