Feature request: pre-tweaking

	Whenever I do a fresh install (preferably a net install or one
from a live medium -- they're smaller), as soon as I reboot into it and
update it, I launch dnfdragora and go through, first, all the apps I know
I don't need, or hope I won't. (When in doubt, I hit Apply often and read
through the resulting list with great care.)

	That done, I start over, this time looking for things I know or
hope I will want. By the time I've done both, I've pretty well killed a
day, often two.

	And then I still have to do the other half: arranging panels,
icons, and the like into places where my fingers can find them, without
taking what's left of my mind off what it's doing.

	As an old retired fart blissfully unconcerned with production of
anything, I can afford all this; but it's gawdawful tedious. If there's a
better way that a non-technoid can use, somebody please clue me in!

	If I could have my druthers, I'd like some snapshot that would
record my tweaks shortly before a fresh install, and write them to a
temporary external medium. Then after the fresh install, it would check
as best it could, show me the changes, and offer to carry them out.

	I realize such a tool could never be perfect. There will always
be new releases of one standby or another, and other bigger changes that
give the May or November release of Fedora good reason for taking a new
number.	Nevertheless, there are also mature apps, such as mailers and
list servers, that some of us want and some of us don't, which change
only slowly. There are terminal tabs, font sizes, locations of launchers,
and so forth and so on. The tool I'm wish-dreaming of would seize *my*
tweaks and carry them over to feed into the new install.

	All this or something like it happens now with an upgrade, and
may the developers be blessed above all nations for making it the
preferred way! But sometimes for instance I replace a machine ....
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Historian of Tongues
Squirreler, Double Retiree, Linux Evangelist