Re: updated fedora 28 and lost unicode characters

Aleksandar Kostadinov <akostadi@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> attaching characters that I lost after update today. See attached
>> image from ff 65 and slack. It showed correctly in the past. Not
>> sure how to debug what broke :/

stan:
> No, I see this also in firefox, but not everywhere, only on some web
> pages.  I just assumed it was because I was using noscript and
> blocking access to images that were on a server I had blocked.  It
> has been happening a lot longer for me than the last update. Since I
> use nightly, the development version of firefox, I would suspect that
> it is a code change that recently made into the production version.

Well, to even start to debug it, you'd have to mention some particular
webpage addresses that are failing.

Commonly, things like that are down to missing characters in fonts.
They were present in the font the webauthor used, but not yours.  And
for things that did work, but now don't, it could be that the font has
changed (installs on your side, or, the author picked a different one).

Related to that can be the author using bizarre characters.  They've
picked some unusual thing that looks like what they want, but it only
appears in some fonts.  If they'd picked the normal symbol for such a
thing, it'd be more widely supported.

Character encoding schemes can come into it, too.  If they've used
UTF8, but erroneously said their page was using 8859-1 (which can be
done as a meta statement in the HTML, or the webserver's HTTP headers),
it's going to fail.  Or, if you've forced your browser to use a
particular scheme, instead of obeying the website's instructions.

And, as you said, it can be down to missing graphics.  The website may
have used a graphic symbol with a text fallback.  The graphic may have
disappeared from their files, they may have got the address for it
wrong on some pages, and their text fallback could be broken, too.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Linux servers are always being dæmonised...