Re: Email Question - OT

Tim:
>> If the numerical IP address of your service is shared between
>> yourselves and others, whether that's because your IP can change at
>> different logins, or other's use it simultaneously (such as
>> webserver hosts that service many clients on the same numerical
>> IP), you're not going to get the host to point their reverse DNS
>> look-up to your domain name.  You need a permanently unique IP to
>> be able to do that.  The same situation applies for HTTPS and
>> certificates (you need to be the sole user of your IP).

Samuel Sieb:
> This hasn't been true for a long time.  I don't remember the
> acronym, but you can have an unlimited number of website hostnames on
> the same IP address that all have their own unique certificates.

"SNI"?  RFC'd in 2003, and still not supported by all browsers, but
appears to be by all the major web server software.

I was under the impression that /that/ problem was unsolveable.  Due to
both web client and server first trying to connect *before* requesting
the hostname, therefore it wasn't possible to provide a certificate for
the right host.  Of course if the HTTPS protocols have changed, but it
appears not, just an addition has been made:

SNI put the requested domain name into the client's TLS negotiation, so
the server can provide the right site's certificate.

The requested hostname is not encrypted, so it can be spied upon.
Experiments are afoot to encrypt this, too, but only very recently
(last year).

In most cases, it probably doesn't matter that some third party could
find out you wanted to connect to a particular website (which used to
be hidden with the old way of doing HTTPS, although they still knew the
IP you were connecting to, and could see what DNS lookup you'd done
just prior).  But it can be used for surveillance and censorship.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Television should really come with an intelligence knob.  I've tried
adjusting the brightness, but it didn't help.