Re: Email Question - OT

On Wed, 2019-02-20 at 10:16 -0700, S. Bob wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> This is probably Off Topic, apologies...
>

> I recently kicked googlemail to the curb in favor of a service that
> does
> not read my emails (fastmail). We are very happy with fastmail. We
> are
> using our own domain which I was also doing with google.
>
> All of our clients can now email me at the same email address as
> before
> and I get the emails via fastmail, however we have one client that I
> do
> not receive the emails for. They can email  me at other addresses
> but
> not the 'migrated' address. I'm not sure how to even start debugging
> this...
>
> Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated
>

> Thanks in advance

This happened to me when I set up a mailinglist for a church group I
belonged to.  I ran a mail server I had in my home office that was
hooked up to a cable service.  Of the 50 people on the list, 20 could
not send mail to the list -- even though they could receive mails.

It turned out that all of them were using one cable vendor and were
getting their internet connection through it.  I tried calling them,
but the technical support folk there said it was my problem and they
were not interested in spending time trying to help me -- so I was on
my own.

I did a search on the problem at the time, and I wasn't the only person
who ran into it.  From my reading, it seemed that it was an issue of
this particular ISP's internal security protocol that involved some
sort of checking of ownership or something like that.  The gist I got
was that my domain resolved correctly, and the ICANN ownership info of
the domain was correct, but the ownership of the some other component,
like the IP address, was different, since it was tied to my ISP and not
to me -- even though I was doing my own nameservice.  Thus, I broke
their spoofing rules.  There was no solution that I could find, and
none that worked for other folk who ran into it -- all of whom were
running their own name and mail service from home.

The workaround I ended up using was to change the Reply To: address for
those users to a big-name server address (gmail as I remember) and then
forwarded that to my server, which it would do.

Note:

1) This was specific to one ISP (and the search turned it up only for
that ISP)
2) It was back in 2008
3) I may not have characterized it correctly, since I didn't actually
solve it.

billo