Re: Fedora 29 Live CD/USB Cannot Install on Raid nor Boot in UEFI.

On 13/2/19 8:33 pm, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 13/2/19 7:47 am, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 2/12/19 1:14 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
     I have burnt a Fedora 29 workstation live install to DVD and tried to boot it with the bios set to UEFI mode, but it halted with a boot error. Thinking there might be an error with the DVD I downloaded a tool for windows that allowed me to download and burn the F29 installer to usb, but this failed to boot with the same issue as the DVD. If I switched the bios into legacy mode both the DVD and USB successfully booted to the Fedora desktop. From what I have read on the net the live installer is dual setup, in terms of the documentation said that if the installer was booted in UEFI mode it would perform a UEFI install and if it was booted in legacy mode it would do a bios install, so given this have I done something incorrectly to cause the installer to not boot in UEFI mode?

I have booted the F29 live using USB in UEFI mode.  What is the error you are getting?  If you're creating it from Windows, you should be using the Fedora live media writer.
I'm not sure what the tool I used was, I'll need to check my wife's machine where I installed it, but it was a tool obtained from a Fedora web site which downloaded the installer and burnt it to usb. I'm not sure what the failure was as it didn't display any message other than to say the boot failed. I also had a bootable dvd of 'Partition Magic' and 'Gparted', both of which I created years ago, and both of these also failed to boot with the bios in UEFI mode but booted quite happily with the bios in legacy mode. Both of these also could not see any drive to work with when the bios was in raid mode, including the ssd which was not in the array anyway.
I checked my wife's machine and the windows software I used to download and burn the live installer to usb was the Fedora Media Writer.

     Having set my hard disks up in Raid 10 mode I booted the F29 installer in bios mode which successfully booted to the desktop, where I selected the install to hard disk option which worked fine up to the point of setting up the disks, where the disk setup could not see any disks at all to configure for installation. From what I've read on the internet the workstation installers for F22 through F24 did not support raid but the equivalent server installers did. Has this still not been rectified up to the F29 workstation installer?

How are you creating the RAID?  Is this hardware RAID or software RAID? If hardware, then what is the RAID model?  Also, it's easier to use Linux software RAID which you can setup in the installer. And personally, I think it's safer and probably faster.

This was a hardware raid provided by the motherboard bios. I'm not sure what the RAID model is, all I know is the bios had an option to set all the sata ports to either AHCI mode or RAID mode. I didn't check the raid model in the installer, and since configuring the raid array the prompt to enter the configurator is no longer displayed. The keyboard shortcut may still be available but I haven't tried it since setting up the array. The bios also has an option to copy the raid drivers from the supplied DVD to usb, which it recommends that the bios not be set to raid until the copy has been done. Unfortunately the raid drivers are only for windows. From what I have read the installer up to F21 supported raid in the installer, and I have used hardware raid 0 in an earlier Fedora version which the installer had no trouble using.

The uefi boot interface doesn't tell me what model raid it is in its configuration interface, nor does the configuration interface tool under windows, other than to say that it is an AMD-Raid.

regards,

Steve

regards,

Steve