Re: Thunderbird-yahoo e-mail authentication and security.

Allegedly, on or about 26 December 2018, home user via users sent:
> I used to think Wikipedia is great.  Lately, my opinion of it is
> declining.  It's not always authoritative, it's not very stable
> (article contents change too much, too often), and other faults.  I'm
> almost certain I'm not the only member of this list with this view.

While that's true, I still find it a good starting point for looking
things up.  There's mostly understandable explanations of technical
stuff, and references to sources of information.  And because the site
gets reviewed, things get improved.

> No mention was made of OAuth2.

My first port of call is usually Google, though.  And you can try doing
a search using just the keywords of OAuth2 and yahoo, then try OAuth2
and gmail, etc.

Plain text passwords are just bad news anywhere.  Inside your own LAN,
where nobody else connects, not so much of an issue.  But if you do
anything that allows an outsider to connect to it, then they're bad.

A lot of mail servers don't allow plain text passwords any more.  If
you try to connect using one, the logon process refuses before it even
starts and your system never even gets as far as sending your the
password, and probably even before you even send a username.

Encryption is only as good as the encryption is.  But it's the best
choice, and any security failure is limited to that particular bad
service.

Various third party authenticators, where you authenticate with one
service, and it authenticates you with other services that listen to
it, have their own set of problems.  Kerboros, GSSAPI, OAuth2 are
examples of that kind of scheme, and things that allow Facebook or the
old Microsoft passport to authenticate you.  While they have the
convenience of login once, and not have to do it again for other
things, most things let you save your password, so you only ever had to
enter it once when configurating the program, anyway.

The problems they have are being a central point of exploitation:
Someone cracks that and you're instantly vulnerable in multiple places.
 And they know everything that you're up to, so you're trackable and
databasable, privacy goes right out the window with any authenticator
who doesn't give a damn about you.  And they're a central point of
failure, it goes down and you lose everything.  And you may face the
same situation if you decide you don't want to use them any more.

I'd say to use encrypted connections or logons, hope that as a
vulnerability in particular encryption scheme is discovered it gets
removed from your applications and services.  Use good, different, and
unrelated, passwords for every service.

It's probably going to be the easiest thing to do, too.  Other
authentication schemes are obscure.  With little use or useful help.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Hooray!  I finally finished typing this email.