Re: Thunderbird-yahoo e-mail authentication and security.

Allegedly, on or about 24 December 2018, home user via users sent:
> 2. What are the advantages, disadvantages, and security risks of each
> of the 6 authentication methods offered by Thunderbird for yahoo e-
> mail?

You can only use the options that the ISP supports as well.  Which
probably means only one or two out of the list.  Look them all up on
Wikipedia, if you want mostly understandable explanations of each of
them.

Normal password is the common plain-text/unencrypted username and
password logon scheme as used with POP/IMAP for many years.  Though,
when you enable secure logon features (like TLS), an encrypted
connection is set up, first, and the transmitted data will go through
it *ALL* encrypted.

Kerberos is an authentication scheme that's probably only going to be
available within an office LAN.  NTLM was a Microsoft scheme.  GSSAPI
and OAuth2 are processes of how to handle logons.  I've never used any
public mail system that uses any of them (or advertises that they do).

SSL/TLS will use encryption to log on (your username and password will
not be sent in the clear), and for transmitting the message (the
connections are encrypted).  TLS is supposed to be better than SSL.
But what you're doing is sending unencrypted content through a secured
channel, either side of the connection between yourself and your mail
server, the message is readable by anybody who can manage to look at
it.

Remember that most mail goes unencrypted between the different mail
servers in the world.  If you require privacy, then you need to encrypt
your messages using something like GPG/PGP.  Both sides of the
conversation need to understand how to use it.

Certificates (depending on context) will either use a certificate
instead of username and password, or will simply be the verification of
the encryption used by the server (like when using HTTPS on the WWW)
before the logon process starts, or used for encrypting the entire
message.

Some schemes simply encrypt the logon procedure, for user security, but
the actual transmission of messages isn't encrypted.  So, if you were
working in an insecure LAN, for instance, messages could be read by
snooping on the data.

Be aware that it's possible to configure encryption, or not, separately
for receiving and sending mail.  If you require it, pay attention to
what you're configuring.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Error: unable to decode remainder of message.