Re: VPN Interface not Remaining Active With Firewall?

On 7/12/18 9:10 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 12/7/18 4:33 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
Thanks Ed, I'll try that again.

I am using a vpn called Slickvpn. I did download *.ovpn files for each location but I
didn't issue the command you mentioned. I manually created the vpn definitions in
network manager and manually populated the information in those definitions by manually
reading the .ovpn files and transferring the information contained in them into the
definitions, plus the "vendor" supplied a windows client that enabled selection of the
site to connect to and supplied all the necessary configuration, that I also used to get
the configuration for the networkmanager definitions. As it has been over 12 months
since I last used them, which would have been in F27, what I don't know at this stage is
whether things have changed with all their servers or whether F28 changes are
causing issues with this particular vpn.
There is no need to "manually" add the connection in Network Manager.  Network Manager has
an "import" function which will do things for you.  One thing it does is put the certs in
the proper location.  This ensures that the selinux context is correct for them.

I've renamed my existing definitions to import the configuration, and in doing the rename I noticed that the UDP port specified is now different to the ports their windows client provides as selections. Their windows client provides an auto setting for the port which keeps connecting and disconnecting without ever providing a static connection. The port that did work for one of the two sites I tried, being 8888, was not the same port in the linux definition that worked 12 months ago, being 443.

I tried creating a vpn definition from Networkmanager in KDE by creating the definition via the import function, but that doesn't work for my situation at the moment. My OVPN files are on my windows partition, and when I navigate to /mnt where the mount points are, the import dialog shows me all the directories in /mnt except the three windows directories even though those mount points are currently mounted. All the directories in /mnt are owned by root and world readable. How do I find out why the Networkmanager dialog won't show them?

regards,

Steve