Re: VPN Interface not Remaining Active With Firewall?

On 16/11/18 1:12 pm, Tony Nelson wrote:
On 18-11-15 18:00:14, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 11/15/2018 03:17 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
In Linux
case, it expects UTC. In Windows, it expects local time.

I haven't had to deal with this for years, but if memory serves, there's a
place where you can tell Linux that the hardware clock is in local time,
not UTC.

man hwclock:

   LOCAL vs UTC
       Keeping the Hardware Clock in a  local  timescale  causes inconsistent
       daylight saving time results:

       · If  Linux  is  running during a daylight saving time change, the time
         written to the Hardware Clock will be adjusted for the change.

       · If Linux is NOT running during a daylight  saving  time change,  the          time  read  from  the  Hardware  Clock  will  NOT be adjusted for the
         change.

       The Hardware Clock on an ISA compatible system keeps only a  date  and        time,  it  has  no  concept of timezone nor daylight saving. Therefore,        when hwclock is told that it is in local time, it assumes it is in  the        'correct' local time and makes no adjustments to the time read from it.

       Linux  handles daylight saving time changes transparently only when the        Hardware Clock is kept in the UTC timescale. Doing so is made easy  for        system  administrators as hwclock uses local time for its output and as
       the argument to the --date option.

       POSIX systems, like Linux, are designed to have the System Clock  oper‐        ate in the UTC timescale. The Hardware Clock's purpose is to initialize
       the System Clock, so also keeping it in UTC makes sense.

       Linux does, however, attempt to accommodate the Hardware Clock being in        the local timescale. This is primarily for dual-booting with older ver‐        sions of MS Windows. From Windows 7 on,  the RealTimeIsUniversal  reg‐        istry key is supposed to be working properly so that its Hardware Clock
       can be kept in UTC.

From recollection, which may not be completely accurate, the Asrock motherboard that I have now is the first motherboard I've had where the bios has not offered a setting to set the system clock to GMT/Local, and I have always set the system clock to local because Windows, which I tri-boot with, used to have issues with the system clock being GMT. Having said this, on this motherboard there isn't any option to change it, the front screen is showing local time and that time is correct for daylight savings time, even though the machine wasn't switched on when daylight savings time kicked in.

I also seem to remember that there used to be an option in KDE->System Settings to configure whether or not the system clock was running local or GMT time, which I can't find now. The only setting I can find is to set the timezone and to set the date and time automatically. From memory there used to also be an option in KDE->System Setttings to have the clock maintained by a Network Time Clock where you could also specify the URL to connect to, which I used to have set to an Oceania location, but I can't find that anymore either.

regards,

Steve