Re: VPN Interface not Remaining Active With Firewall?

On 21/11/18 9:09 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/21/18 5:07 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:

Given that the front screen of the bios is displaying the time as local time, presumably
that means that the time settings in the bios are local time and the motherboard bios
doesn't provide any means to input the time as GMT, hence the bios is not set to GMT.
Let me try this one last time.  And it will be one last time.  I can tell you how to set
your system up to get consistent log entries.  It will be your choice to do it or not.

You have already said that the motherboard has no concept of time zones.  That is totally
irrelevant.  YOU know what time it is and YOU know what time zone you are in!

I look at my mobile phone and see it is 05:55 on November 21.  I know I am in GMT+8.  So,
GMT time is now 21:55 on November 20.  So, I go to my BIOS screen and enter 21:55 as the
time and November 20 as the date.  The motherboard clock is NOW set to GMT!  It matter not
one lick if the MB has an idea of any time zone!

Step one Done.

Thinking about the data as displayed by journalctl at boot time, the time stamp on the
messages of Nov18 18:16 for a Nov 18 7am boot would make sense if the OS assumed the
system clock was GMT and added the local zone offset to the time.

Given the fact that my /etc/adjtime has local as the last line, and from my recollection
I have not explicitly run the indicated commands that would set that, why is the OS not
honouring that specification right from boot commencement?
Set that last line to UTC.  You have now told the O/S that the HW clock is set to
UTC/GMT.  So now the O/S knows what you know.

Step two Done.

Make sure the the link /etc/localtime points to a correct time zone for where your system
is physically located.

[egreshko@meimei etc]$ ll /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 33 Dec 21  2017 /etc/localtime -> ../usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Taipei

for ME.

(you can use timedatectl to show/set)

Step three Done.

Reboot

Done.

You will now get correct and consistent date/time stamps in your logs going forwad.
Previous timestamps won't be fixed.  Don't want to do that.  Well, you'll be in the same
situation you are now and that will be that.

With the time zone data coming from the tzdata package, are you saying that each year
when the local governments change when daylight saving starts and ends, that the tzdata
package is updated to reflect that?
Look at the changelog for the package as I showed you.

rpm -q --changelog tzdata

and you will see the dates it was updated and why it was updated.  The answer to your
question is obvious.

Having installed the motherboard over 12 months ago and not touched the time settings since, it wasn't until two days ago that I realised, through trial and error, that the bios date/time could be changed and how to do it (its changed by clicking on the time display in the bottom right hand corner), I was looking for options entries like other motherboards I've had. I can change this setting to GMT, but I also boot to Windows 10 and I am not sure I can trust Windows to honour the registry setting, plus I also boot to Ubuntu and I'm not sure how Ubuntu handles this at the moment.

regards,

Steve