Re: OT: IBM to buy RedHat

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:04 PM, Tim via users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-10-28 at 19:04 -0700, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>> RHEL is defunct, out-of-date garbage, so I see IBM slowly
>> closing that project down as it wont support their new code
>> and sticking with cloud services and such.  I do not see
>> them support anything that does not directly affect their
>> immediate bottom line, especially with the financial hit
>> IBM took acquiring Red Hat.
>
> If you want to go full conspiracist, then it's an obvious move.  If you
> want to force users into cloud computing, buy out the software that
> does in-the-box computing, and take it away from the users.

Actually if they were to gut Red Hat on day 2 following the
acquisition in this manner, it would be fantastic. Everyone would get
to walk away. The shareholders (specifically) and the market
(generally) can see the value in supporting another startup of a Red
Hat like thing and there'd be a bunch of people available to get back
to work.

Of course they know this. And since they can't obliterate Red Hat just
to remove it as competition, this can't be the plan. The worse case
scenario is, given the dour state IBM is in, they need to keep Red Hat
independent and strong should they need to sell it off for emergency
cash down the road. And if they do manage to F* up Red Hat, well
that'll be pretty embarrassing won't it? And well before then, my
expectation is that the board hopes Red Hat culture can eventually
infiltrate and take over IBM leadership, which is the better case
scenario.

The reality is, Red Hat is a publicly traded company and there was
always a very good chance a big fish was going to come eat it, because
it was doing well. Anyway, the ultimate decision now is up to Red Hat
shareholders. Why would they say no though? They bought the stock to
make money, this is their big pay day.

--
Chris Murphy