Re: OT: IBM to buy RedHat

On 10/28/18 11:04 PM, Tim via users wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-10-28 at 19:04 -0700, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>> RHEL is defunct, out-of-date garbage, so I see IBM slowly
>> closing that project down as it wont support their new code
>> and sticking with cloud services and such.  I do not see
>> them support anything that does not directly affect their
>> immediate bottom line, especially with the financial hit
>> IBM took acquiring Red Hat.

RHEL and Debian Stable take the same path. Stable, mostly just security
fixes during a release's lifeftime, etc. I usually prefer Debian in
server environments but at work we have quite a few RHEL machines too,
it's the popular choice for proprietary software vendors to target
because it's long lived and slow moving. Debian Stable and RHEL are both
very handy in situations where things absolutely positively cannot break.

I imagine IBM is mostly interested in OpenShift, JBoss and CoreOS. But
that's just a guess on my part. While I'm not a fan of IBM's business
practices and I've heard nothing good about the corporate culture I'm
not entirely doom and gloom on this. The thing is it's hard to kill GPL
software, if they do ignore it, try to close off parts, etc it will most
likely just get forked like Maria and LibreOffice did after Oracle
bought Sun.

Hopefully IBM will keep paying the RH devs that contribute to the kernel
and other Linux related projects. If they shut those folks down it will
have wider implications on the Linux ecosystem in general. Red Hat devs
make a lot of contributions to projects outside of RHEL and Fedora.

Leander

--
---
Leander Hutton