Re: Message list text color -

On Sun, 2018-10-28 at 21:15 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> As I said there's only one css file I can find and it doesn't look
> like much:
>
> [bobg@Box83-F28-workstation ~]$ cat /home/bobg/.mozilla/seamonkey/e582sp8a.default/extensions/tonequilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/skin/filterEditorOverlay.css
>
> .ruleactiontarget[type="tonequilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx#playSound"] {
>   -moz-binding:
> url("chrome://tonequilla/content/bindings.xml#soundPicker");
> }
>
> toolbarbutton.focusbutton {
>   -moz-user-focus: normal;
> }

Yeah, nothing we could make use of in this situation.

> Well it looks like there in resides the problem. Seamonkey 2.49.4,
> the one I dnf installed comes with two themes and the one I selected
> for the white text on black has the problem while the one with the
> black on white does not, just saw that this afternoon ...

When I've played with themes, long ago, I tended to find incomplete
ones.  There'd be some icons that stood out like a saw thumb as not
being part of the set, or there'd be some unreadable content because
someone had put black backgrounds behind black text, etc.

> I was unable to find a copy of the default theme file that we might
> be able to do something with, I thought perhaps as an .xpi file but
> not even that so far those are "binary" files, look like machine
> language with a hexeditor to me.

Yeah, I'd looked to see if I could spot a default stylesheet, or
something, in the original installs.  Nothing stood out, they're
probably hard coded into the install.

When I'd looked for info on the web, there was a bunch of people asking
questions with few answers.  Some of the answers were that it was such
a rapidly moving target, there was no guides of all the features that
we've been looking at (controlling the colouration of the GUI).  I
suspect many of the themes are done by reverse engineering someone
else's.

> It appears that this version, Seamonkey 2.49.4 is not compatible with
> any of the earlier version themes. It has some other problems that I
> am beginning to recognize.

The age-old compatibility saga, this time caused by age...

> A few minutes ago I lost control of that computer, a black screen,
> finally in desperation I tried to shut it down via an ssh connection
> from here. The screen came up full of what a[[eared to be a huge
> number of address book entries, it looked like it was just up to the
> "C's" whatever that was it looked like some sort of security breach,
> perhaps someone intending to send spam through it?

No idea.  But if you've set up your mail client to remember addresses
that it receives or replies to, you can fill your address book up quite
easily when you participate with mailing lists.

Anyway, back to your issue.  Try the two .css files I sent to the list
yesterday, with my prior message.  Drop them into the appropriate
directory for whichever mail client you're having a go with
(Thunderbird or SeaMonkey's), then quit and restart the program to make
it read them (unfortunately that seems necessary, so it made my testing
of them tiresome).

I'd made those two .css files just trialling out affecting the message
pane, and the header box above the message pane.  I haven't had a
proper go at the list of messages pane, nor the list of folders panes.

My brief, separate, tests against the folder and message list panes
struck a problem where my Thunderbird theme is using alternating
backgrounds behind the lists.  My stylesheet was only affecting every
other line of text.

For Thunderbird, if it's the same as on my computers, make a chrome
directory inside your profile directory inside the .thunderbird
directory in your home directory, then copy the two .css files into
that chrome directory.

e.g.  ~/.thunderbird/jhdsafhd.default/chrome/userChrome.css

(Where I've typed those "jhdsafhd" random characters, you'll have a
different set of random characters.  Each installation does that, so
that there's always a unique unguessable filepath.)

For SeaMonkey, I don't have it installed.  So you'd have see if there's
a .mozilla or .seamonkey directory in your home directory, and go
exploring from there.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 26 15:12:11 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.