Re: Message list text color -

On 10/27/18 10:05, Tim via users wrote:
On Fri, 2018-10-26 at 14:02 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I dnf installed SeaMonkey in an attempt to reduce problems I have
with configuring newer versions of Thunderbird which no longer accept
some of the add-ons essential to me. It seems to work as expected
except for the message "headers" listed above the message text.

I use white text on a black background and the "Subject, To, From,
etc"addresses are listed in dark blue which, for me at least, fades
into the background. I would like to change that to white, as it is
in Thunderbird. Almost as bad it turns red when the cursor is placed
on the line, why anyone wanted that feature is beyond my
comprehension!
If you want to point me in the direction of the instructions that
you're looking at, I can see if I can make sense of them.
.
"instructions" The only instructions I had were suggestions from the SeaMonkey mailing list to try the gui configuration menus, something I had all ready done. I don't think I missed anything, but may be ...

I had hoped to get a suggestions to what item to consider changing in about:config or even a .css file. I suspect that n one reading my inquiry knows how SeaMonkey works.

Thunderbird, and it's relatives, use HTML-like parsing for their
message display, so it's likely SeaMonkey's followed the same plan:
Using CSS (content style sheets) with the same weblink options.
Whether that be a plain text file with all the data in it (Mozilla
products have used a "userChrome.css" file somewhere in your profile
for this kind of thing), or a set of about:config options for each of
them.  There's a possibility that you could find a *theme* that sets
all of these things to your needs.

Links are displayed differently than the rest of the page,
traditionally white or grey page background, black plain text, blue
underlined links.  With links changing colour when hovered over, as
they're being clicked on, and when they've already been visited.  So
that's four link colouring modes to customise.

In CSS (other techniques may use the same keywords):
.
I checked and found one .css file already there, apparently created by the "Tonequilla" add-on I installed to get audio announcement of messages received. I could probably add to the if necessary but I haven' the slightest idea where to look for what is coloring the addresses listed in the email message display headers, e.g. From, To, Subject. They are coming up in dark blue and I can't read them against the black background.
a:link sets the normal colour of an unvisited link
a:visited sets the colour of a visited link
a:hover sets the colour a link the pointer/cursor is hovering over
a:active sets the colour of a link while it's being clicked on

And you can set the foreground and background colours, as well as text
styling (such as underlining), for each of those parameters.  In your
case, you'd probably want to set the unvisited and visited to two
distinct bright colours (e.g. yellow and orange).
.
I really don't need the colors, set them all to white on the black background, there is some underlining that happens and is sufficient for me.

If that's (above) the kind of instructions you've been looking at, the
CSS coding for doing that kind of thing is:

	a:link
	{
		color:  white;
		background-color:  inherit;
	}

	a:visited
	{
		color:  yellow;
		background-color:  inherit;
	}

	a:hover
	{
		color:  greenyellow;
		background-color:  inherit;
	}

	a:active
	{
		color:  magenta;
		background-color:  inherit;
	}

There's a bunch of well known colour names that browsers recognise, and
I've just picked four at random.  Outside of those names, you'd use
numerical colour codes to set up something else.

The "inherit" parameter just means to inherit the background colour of
the page behind the link.

.
I would like to try adding to .css but I have no idea as to the name of the item I am trying to modify. I had hoped they would tell me what they had done to color those lines but no success on that question. I looked for a clue in about:config but without success so far.

I haven't given up yet though.

Thank you for the help,

Bob

--