Re: F27 to F28 Upgrade Fails at Offline Install Time

On 11/7/18 8:47 am, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 07/10/2018 03:17 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
1). Can anyone shed any light on why the install may have failed and what I need to do to work around it? I'm hoping I don't have to run a 'sudo dnf clean all' and then a 'sudo dnf system-upgrade --refresh --releasever=28 --allowerasing --skip-broken' to download all the packages again.

I wonder if the --skip-broken is a problem.  Can you solve that before doing the upgrade?

I think the packages should still be downloaded.
Check in /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade
All the packages were still downloaded.

2). Where can I find the logs that would contain the error message so I can read what it said, given that /var/log/boot.log and /var/log/dnf.log both don't contain the message?

Try "dnf system-upgrade log".

I issued that command and all it did was tell me there were 6 boots that appeared to have upgrade logs, going right back to the upgrade I did of F23 to F24, but the names it listed were meaningless to me and it didn't provide any path references to where I might find the logs to be able to search them.

Following your suggestion I ran a sudo dnf upgrade which produced all the conflict messages that I worked around by adding --allowerasing and --skip-broken, but this time dnf said to try --best and --allowerasing, which I did and that installed all the package updates that caused the conflicts. Having done this I was able to complete the upgrade to F28, but now I have big problems.

Under F28 my USB network device doesn't work because dkms can't compile the driver for it, and, either because of this failure or a compile failure the drivers for my mouse haven't been installed by dkms either.

Booting into the latest F27 kernel I have installed which is 4.17.3-100, where both drivers have previously successfully compiled and installed (which is how I'm able to send this email), the mouse drivers still compile but the usb device driver fails to compile. Both with the F28 kernel, being 4.17.3-200, and the F27 kernel I mentioned, the compile fails with stdarg.h not found, so I'm now confused about what the F28 upgrade has done. The F28 upgrade should not have updated the F27 kernel source that was already installed and hence there should not be any barriers to compiling the driver against the F27 kernel when under F27 it did compile.

regards,

Steve