F27 to F28 Upgrade Fails at Offline Install Time

Hi,

    Yesterday I downloaded all the F28 packages necessary to upgrade my system from F27 to F28 by using the following command:

            sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=28 --allowerasing --skip-broken

   I added the last 2 parameters because dnf told me there were packages it could not upgrade because of conflicts and to add those parameters. Having had the process start it said there were approx. 3540 packages to be downloaded, which took several hours to do.

    I ran the dnf system-upgrade reboot command as required, but because I had other things I needed to do I shut the machine down at the subsequent grub menu.

    This morning I booted Fedora and it booted to the starting offline install messages that get displayed twice, separated by some sound card initialisation messages. Dnf then kicked in and displayed some messages I couldn't read because they scrolled off the screen too quickly, but it did get to the point of telling me there were 6 F28 packages with broken dependencies (being 4 Boost packages, qt-qtbase and polkit-qt5-1) and that I should use --allowerasing and --skip-broken. It then proceeded to tell me there were 137 packages to install, 3410 packages to upgrade, 13 packages it was going to remove, 6 packages it was going to downgrade, and 6 packages with broken dependencies. It then proceeded to tell me there were no packages to download, and that its transaction tests were successful so it was going to do the install. After pausing for a little while it then produced a message that started with the work failed written in red, but the messages scrolled off too quickly to read as it continued on to boot into F27.

1). Can anyone shed any light on why the install may have failed and what I need to do to work around it? I'm hoping I don't have to run a 'sudo dnf clean all' and then a 'sudo dnf system-upgrade --refresh --releasever=28 --allowerasing --skip-broken' to download all the packages again.

2). Where can I find the logs that would contain the error message so I can read what it said, given that /var/log/boot.log and /var/log/dnf.log both don't contain the message?

regards,

Steve