Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

On 2 June 2018 at 20:03, peterlesterhuis@xxxxxxxxxx
<peterlesterhuis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I purchased an Asus laptop with 2 hard drives (SSD 256 GB and HDD 1 TB).
> Windows10 was preinstalled on the SSD and the HDD drive is used for data.
>
> I wanted to install fedora alongside Windows.
> So I shrinked the partition on the SSD drive (sdb)  and also the partition
> on the HDD drive (sda).
> I installed fedora on the new partition of the SDD drive.
>
> So far so good. I can boot into Windows as well as Fedora.
> Now I want to have /home, /usr/ and/ /tmp on the HDD drive, which I intend
> to use as data-drive.
> I created a mountpoint for the new partition of the HDD drive (sudo mkdir
> /mnt/sda2 and sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2).
> Now I am stuck. This is beyond my (limited) skills.
> How do I realize that /home, /usr and and /tmp wil be stored on the HDD?
> I need a step-by-step tutorial to proceed.

It's not an answer to your question exactly, but I wouldn't move any
of /home, /usr or /tmp to the HDD:
- /tmp is mounted as tmpfs by default, so technically it's in the RAM
not on any disk
- /usr and /home are mostly where, almost any, app is going to load
files from when you start it for the first time after logging in;
IMHO, to make full use of an SSD, leave these two partitions be, it
_should_ make for a noticeable difference in app loading times.

What you could do to save some space on the SSD is create a new
partition on the HDD, and keep e.g. music, video, basically any large
files, on it, and just access them from there.

IIUC, SSD's are more resilient nowadays than they used to be, so just
make use of the I/O speed boost.

You can of course research the technical specs of the SSD you have and
see what the manufacturer has posted about the optimal/expected amount
of data that can be written to it in during its lifetime and plan
accordingly.

Assuming the file system is ext4, you can get an idea about the
average writes, to the SSD, per day by examining[1]:
$ cat /sys/fs/ext4/sdXX/lifetime_write_kbytes
$ cat /sys/fs/ext4/sdXX/session_write_kbytes

[1]https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg16331.html

--
Ahmad Samir