Re: NFS setup -

On 04/18/2018 02:15 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 04/18/2018 12:42 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> On 04/18/18 15:01, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>> By default, Fedora uses the LVM (logical volume manager) system to
>>> partition the disks. It actually creates regular partitions as a raw
>>> volumes (PVs or "physical volumes"). It then typically creates a VG
>>> (volume group) that has that PVs in it. From there, it carves out
>>> LVs (logical volumes). On my laptop, for example, I have these (among
>>> others) from the "df -h" command:
>>
>> +
>>

>>   --- Logical volume ---
>>   LV Path                /dev/fedora00/home
>>   LV Name                home
>>   VG Name                fedora00
>>   LV UUID                2Ffglt-Twti-jf1R-lmMX-mqb1-vfF7-dhAusR
>>   LV Write Access        read/write
>>
>> So for me the question remains, how to get /etc/exports into
>> /dev/fedora00/home?
>>
>> It looks to me like the only way I can  get /etc/exports the full TB's
>> is to create a new installation and assign most of the space, ~2.7 TB to
>> "/" and I would have tried that if the live installer wasn't such a
>> hassle to make work unless I go with LVM instead of Standard Partitions.
>>
>> Perhaps what I should do is try to move most of that space from "/home/
>> to root with gparted?
>>
>> The box86 NFS works fine otherwise, I just can't get enough space with
>> only 49G in root and 2.7T in home ...

I should have also said that you could do something like:

	# mkdir -p /home/nfsshares/whateverdir
	# cp -a /home/whateverdir /home/nfsshares/whateverdir

OR

	# mkdir -p /home/nfsshares
	# mv /home/whateverdir /home/nfsshares

Then export /home/nfsshares/whateverdir by:

1. Edit /etc/exports and insert a line:

	/home/nfsshares/whateverdir 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)

2. Re-export the modified /etc/exports via:

	# exportfs -ra

3. Mount the export on a client:

	# mount server:/home/nfsshares/whateverdir /local-mountpoint

Note that by doing this, you're exporting a subdirectory of /home and
thus have the entire 2.7TB available to the NFS client.

Make sense?