Re: NFS setup -

Allegedly, on or about 17 April 2018, Bob Goodwin sent:
> So I guess it boils down to how do I tell NFS to store data in /home
> instead of "/"? I've been looking at this and can't see what to
> change, or maybe it can';t be fixed that way?

I'm not sure of which side of the equation you're approaching this
from.

------------------------

The /etc/exports file on a server exports directories on its own
filesystem for external clients to use.  This points to where files
will actually come and go from.

So if you have a filing system like:

/huge-storage-space-wrong
/huge-storage-space-correct

(Which doesn't actually matter what partition those mount points are
on.)

Then change the listing in the exports file, and move any existing
files from one to the other, on the fileserver.

------------------------

The /etc/fstab file points to where devices get mounted onto the
directory tree.

If you have mounts like

/dev/wrong-device pointing to /my-preferred-storage-space

Simply change the device to the one you actually want.

--------------------------

Likewise, with NFS clients.  They'll map your exported fileserver
directories onto local ones.  You can map them (almost) anywhere you
want to.

For permanent mounts, you can set them up in /etc/fstab with the server
address pointing to the local mount point.

For autofs automatic mounting, the trend is to auto-mount things inside
a /net directory (which you create), and when you try to access
/net/name-of-your-fileserver/name-of-your-exported-filesystem, it auto-
mounts it in there/

---------------------------

Which of those scenarios are you trying to work through?

NB:  There's a few gotchas about NFSing things about:

If you export unusual directories, or mount things in unusual places,
you may have to contend with SELinux shenanigans (including bizarre
unable-to-do-something kind of errors without an explanation that
points to SELinux).

It's usual that the numerical user IDs (and group IDs) of your users
have to be the same on server and client.  Yes, NFSv4 supposedly can
map "tim" between user 1023 on one PC and user 1075 on another, but
that doesn't always work without a configuration fight.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.10-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 17:14:41 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Evolution keeps on telling me that it's refreshing,
but I still want to go and get a drink.