Re: HYPERKITTY does not show messages parts being addressed in replies.

On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 12:38 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > The front page for the month of March shows the most recent 10 messages
> > with a lot of white space. Compare the Evolution (old-style) list
> > archive:
> >
> > https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-March/thread.html
> >
> > I know which is more useful to me. For one thing the old-style page
> > shows all of March. I can also sort it by Date or by Author. To find
> > (say) messages from around March 25 in HK, I have to click through an
> > unknown number of intermediate pages and even then the dates of
> > messages are not shown unless I open them. There's apparently no way to
> > search for a specific date so I guess I have to do mental arithmetic to
> > figure out how old the message is relative to the present.
>
> FWIW, you can change the number of threads shown per page at
> the bottom.  The default is 10, but you can choose up to
> 200, which gets you all the threads from March.

I'm not seeing that. There are some buttons that let you expand the
number of messages in increments of 5, but the maximum is nowhere near
200.

BTW, I attempted to answer this in HK. Clicked on Reply, clicked on the
Quote button, expanded the dinky text input pane and started typing
away. Then I noticed the "Use email software" button. Great! Clicked
there and it opened a Gmail composer, with an empty message. My text
was gone. Hit the Back button and returned to the page. Nope,
everything I had typed had vanished. It had also lost the position of
the message I was replying to. And there's no way to save a draft
message and return to it.

This is not an improved experience.

> > > And it's now much easier to link to a thread and all the
> > > messages in it instead of only to individual messages.
> >
> > An example of a link to a thread:
> >
> > https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-March/msg00087.html
>
> The way I see it, that's a link to a message.  Sure, it
> shows one link to a follow-up message below it.  But there
> are dozens of messages in that thread and they are not shown
> in the pipermail archives.  If you follow one follow-up
> message you can easily end up having to back up a few levels
> to get back to replies from earlier in the thread.

Click on the [Thread Index] button at the foot of the page. It shows
you all the threads. Granted this is different from HK. I happen to
think it's better.

> I'm not trying to say that hyperkitty is infinitely better
> than pipermail.  It's better, worse, and different depending
> on the area and the preference of the user.  I do believe
> that it's an overall improvement.  And for better or worse,
> it's the archiver we've got. :)

As one who has administered email systems for a large population of
users (a university environment with a much more snarky and entitled
user population) I appreciate that canvassing for opinions on a change
like this will never get you consensus. All the same, it's nice to be
asked, which (IIRC) we never were, at least on this list (do correct me
if I'm wrong). However I've said my piece and won't bang on about it.

poc