Re: HYPERKITTY does not show messages parts being addressed in replies.

On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 11:43 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > As a strictly email client user I hope fewer people will use the HyperKitty interface
> > > with these mis-features.  :-)
> >
> > It's feature creep. The unwarranted desire to turn a simple archive
> > page into a full-featured web forum interface, which AFAIK nobody asked
> > for and which doesn't appear to really work.
>
> I don't think that's quite fair.  It seems like it works
> reasonably well to me.  Clearly there are folks who use it
> and while this quoting attribution issue is confusing, there
> are many folks who post regularly from mail clients that
> cause as much confusion by poorly quoting and/or using bad
> html to plain text conversions, etc.

That's true. Of course they shouldn't be posting in HTML in the first
place (as per the list Guidelines) but I take your point.

> > This is a mailing list.  It's incomprehensible to me that
> > anyone would want to use a clunky web interface instead of
> > a mail client (even if it's a web email client) for
> > functions which are specific to email.
>
> I can't imagine how anyone uses most mail clients, web and
> GUI mail clients seem awful to me.  But as long as the mail
> arrives to me in decent form, I don't much care how it got
> to me. :)

We'll have to agree to differ. I'm reasonably happy with Evolution.

> The hyperkitty archiver has definitely improved on several
> long-standing issues with the previous pipermail archiver.

The front page for the month of March shows the most recent 10 messages
with a lot of white space. Compare the Evolution (old-style) list
archive:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-March/thread.html

I know which is more useful to me. For one thing the old-style page
shows all of March. I can also sort it by Date or by Author. To find
(say) messages from around March 25 in HK, I have to click through an
unknown number of intermediate pages and even then the dates of
messages are not shown unless I open them. There's apparently no way to
search for a specific date so I guess I have to do mental arithmetic to
figure out how old the message is relative to the present.

> If a message ever needs to be removed or otherwise edited in
> the archive, it no longer invalidates links to all the
> messages in the archive.

That may be so, in which case it's a plus, but more for the admins than
for the users.

> And it's now much easier to link to a thread and all the
> messages in it instead of only to individual messages.

An example of a link to a thread:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-March/msg00087.html

poc