Re: Administrivia: DMARC mitigations enabled -- applies to Yahoo addresses, at least (was Re: HYPERKITTY does not show messages parts being addressed in replies.)

First, thanks for replying.  It shows the list changes in
action.  At least it appears to work as intended. :)

Tim via users wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 27 March 2018, Todd Zullinger sent:
>> All that said, the best solution would be to stop using
>> @yahoo.com as a mail provider -- at least for mailing
>> lists.  They have repeatedly caused grief to the folks
>> that manage the Fedora Project mail systems.
>
> And that'll only work until the next mail service provider
> does the same thing (insist mail addressed from them goes
> through them).  Which, supposedly, they should all be
> doing.

Yeah.  DMARC isn't the primary reason for bashing Yahoo.
It's more that they have repeatedly blocked all mail from
Fedora domains after a few users signed up for a list,
forgot how to get off it, and marked it as spam.  I've never
managed the Fedora domains, but I've managed others and that
sort of thing always left a lasting impression on me.

> Likewise, with the converse.  Recipient mail service
> providers insisting that mail from somewhere must come
> through them, regardless of the fact that's not always
> practical or possible.
>
> Case in point; many of us have our own domains, and will
> use them to the fullest extent (use our domain name, post
> through our servers), yet our ISPs interfere (intercept
> passing mail, and route it through their own servers).

Are there (m)any ISPs that block the submission port (587)?
I know many block port 25, but if you're running your own
mail server, you really just need to do it from IP space
that you control.

For me, the worst part of having port 25 blocked these days
is that it makes it slightly harder to diagnose issues with
remote mail servers (but only very slightly).

> In some ways I don't mind the notion that a mail server
> may remove our addresses from the post, preventing spam
> from personally reaching us, and stopping private replies.
> But it heads towards anonymising the mail, making it
> easier for someone to be an ass, or impersonate other
> people.

Indeed.  It's an interesting balancing act.

--
Todd
Heathen, n. A benighted creature who has the folly to worship