Re: Where do I find this srpm?

On 03/21/2018 03:02 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 21/3/18 9:13 pm, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 19:18 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>> Why don't I have a new phone? I don't want to spend $1K for a phone I
>>> will have to toss out when the battery dies because, with VERY few
>>> exceptions, you can't replace the battery in new phones. IMHO, this is
>>> absolutely inexcusable! I think only LG phones still have replaceable
>>> batteries. LG should be applauded for this, the rest of them should be
>>> ashamed of themselves. "Oh, the battery explodes! You'll need to replace
>>> the phone!" What? How about just replacing the defective batteries.
>> At least some of Motorola's phones also have replaceable batteries and
>> are reasonably priced.
>
> I've mainly used samsung phones and I haven't had one where the battery
> is not replaceable. I've even had a samsung phone (many years ago) where
> you had to take the battery out to insert the sim card because the
> battery physically sat on top of the card cage.

My Note 3 is a Samsung, but from what I've seen the only new phones that
have replaceable batteries are certain models from LG. Everyone else has
gone the "sleeker is better" or "waterproofing is easier with sealed
units" (not that they're ever waterproof) or some other trendy mantra.

I think Samsung's last phone with a replaceable battery was the Note 5.
If you had a Note 7, you couldn't even take it on a plane! You had to
get the NEW Note 7 with the different colored battery meter so the TSA
and airlines would let you fly. Samsung ate a bunch of crap for that
one. Apple has had several recalls of phones because of defective
batteries. "Nope, you can't replace the battery, you need a new phone."
Utterly stupid.

I'm sure some of the various reasons the makers give are valid--to a
point. I'm also suspicious enough to also think it's a way to force one
to buy a new phone when one otherwise wouldn't. I hate to scrap a
perfectly good phone and be forced to pay $1K USD to get a decent
replacement. A prime example of "forced obsolescence".

Add to this that we are constantly harped at to be eco-sensitive. How is
scrapping an entire phone rather than a (formerly) easily replaced
component consistent with that?

Ok, I'm a curmudgeon and ranted enough about this. I'll shut up now.