Re: du Weirdness - how is this possible

On 03/13/2018 04:59 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 03/13/2018 02:21 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:

>>> Good point about sparse files, which I'd forgotten in this context. A
>>> sparse file can be 10TB in size yet occupy only 1 disk block. 'du' will
>>> give the usage as 1 block and 'ls' will say it's 10TB.

>>> Slight nit: '.' (on its own) means 'current directory' to the kernel,
>>> not to the Shell, i.e. it's wired into the system and doesn't depend on
>>> the command interpreter (in the same way that '/' is the path separator
>>> and cannot be changed). The use of dot-files as a way of hiding certain
>>> names is IIRC originally just a convention of 'ls' which the Shell
>>> adopted for consistency.
>>>
>>> poc
>>
>> Thanks guys, I fully understood the -b parameter was giving an apparent
>> size of the file (which approximately matches what ls -l provides), that
>> sparse files can impact the apparent size, and that the physical size of
>> a file is governed by the sector size, but my usage of du, especially
>> with the -s parameter, is the amount of "apparent" space occupied by
>> files and directories (where possible I usually use a sector size of
>> 512) to identify space hogs. I'm also fully aware of the sector size
>> trade off between efficient space utilization and efficient I/O and the
>> apparent space used by files.
>>
>> What I hadn't realized until Patrick mentioned it, was the significance
>> of the * in the path specification. I hadn't realized that with using
>> the * not only did it cause files prefixed with a '.' to be ignored but
>> it also causes directories prefixed with a '.' to be ignored also.
>
> No. What you have to get straight is that when you use "*", you're
> asking the shell to create a list of files and return it, and by default
> the shell doesn't list files starting with a dot.
>
> To clarify, assume you have a directory containing the files "file1",
> "file2", "file3" and ".dotfile". If you "cd" to it and do an "ls *"
> (asking the shell to expand the glob), you'll get a list of "file1",
> "file2" and "file3". The same is true if the command was "du" and not
> "ls". So the command:
>
> 	du -a *
>
> is exactly equivalent to:
>
> 	du -a file1 file2 file3
>
> If you simply do:
>
> 	du -a
>
> then du will walk down the _directory_ you're in and display all of the
> files, including ".dotfile", since du does not ignore files starting
> with a dot.

Here's an example:

[root@golem4 ~]# mkdir /tmp/testdir
[root@golem4 ~]# cd /tmp/testdir
[root@golem4 testdir]# touch file1 file2 file3 .dotfile
[root@golem4 testdir]# echo "Without shopt:";ls *;echo "With
shopt:";shopt -s dotglob;ls *;echo "Without shopt again:";shopt -u
dotglob;ls *
Without shopt:
file1  file2  file3
With shopt:
.dotfile  file1  file2  file3
Without shopt again:
file1  file2  file3
[root@golem4 testdir]# du *
0	file1
0	file2
0	file3
[root@golem4 testdir]# du -a *
0	file1
0	file2
0	file3
[root@golem4 testdir]# du -a
0	./file2
0	./file3
0	./.dotfile
0	./file1
4	.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

And when I say "files that start with a dot", that includes directories,
devices, whatever (remember, essentially in Unixish systems,
EVERYTHING is some type of a file).