Re: How to install the new Video Download Helper Companion App and have Firefox recognize it

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 07:48:22 -0500
Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> VDH will not download most videos from YouTube. (Was that the idea?)

That's been a suspicion I've had as well.  A requirement for further
funding? For some reason, content providers frown on the practice of
viewers downloading their creations.  :-)

The splitting of extensions into two parts *does* improve security,
however, so it could be legit.

> Has anyone gotten that companion app to work? If so, how may I do it?

Sort of.  When dwhelper fails to download a video, at the bottom of the
drop down when the icon is clicked, you will see a details link.  Click
on that, and you will likely see that one of the libraries in
~/net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.1.3/converter/build/linux/64/
is failing.  I converted some of the files there to symbolic links to
the equivalent files on Fedora.  In particular, ffmpeg, ffplay,
ffprobe, and libz so far. dwhelper is developed using ubuntu, and I
think they expect libraries in different places and with different
names.

I vaguely recall I had it working properly when I replaced every file
there with a link, but every upgrade overwrites that, so I haven't
tried it for a while since it is tedious to do.

With that change, it downloads files when I click on them.  However, it
only saves small files.  It downloads large files, I see the
large temporary file, but when it tries to save them, it writes some
kind of small meaningless file.  I haven't found the reason yet.  I
recall seeing something about the app being open source, so I was going
to get the source and see what it was doing / why it was failing.  When
I click the configuration option that says 'save temporary files', it
doesn't.

One alternative would be to hack firefox to put in a switch that saves
files as they are being viewed.  That's a lot more work, and requires
domain and C++ knowledge.  Probably beyond me.

ant video downloader might be an alternative, but they were focusing on
windows the last time I tried them.

Yeah, the new firefox might be great internally, but it sure took a hit
for user customization and extensibility.

Another alternative is to get firefox 57 from koji and run it in a
virtual machine.  The ant video downloader and dwhelper for 57 and
before are still available on their websites, so you can istall them,
and tell firefox not to automatically update extensions.  Then, when
you want to download a file, just use that firefox to do it.