Re: To replace fc27 Gnome with KDE spin?

On 17/2/18 3:36 am, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 14:51 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 10:17 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

This is *definitely* not necessary. The BIOS runs before the hard disk
is even read, so there has to be a way to catch it. As far as I can
tell you haven't so far mentioned what the make and model of your
laptop is, so everyone is just guessing. You need to read the docs for
your specific machine to see what the magic key is. In fact strictly
speaking you just need the make and model of the BIOS itself. If you
can't find it, try running 'biosdecode' from the dmidecode package.
That will at least tell you the OEM (i.e. the BIOS manufacturer).

poc
You're right - It's a Lenovo G510.  It was sold as a 64-bit machine, but ISTR that I always had more success with 32-bit software.  Maybe that's what's causing some of my problem.
This may not be because your machine is not 64-bit, but rather the applications themselves. For example, on 64-bit machines microsoft recommends to never run their 64-bit version of Office, always run their 32-bit version.

I can't get to grips with the interface I'm seeing.  There seems to be a huge amount of software that I can't find, including dmidecode. Searching returns "no results".

I have also seen signs about vmlinuz - which are incomplete when I see them, and I haven't found them since.  Kernel-core is reporting hardware problems (possibly missing 3rd party drivers?).  Altogether I'm more and more convinced that I have to somehow completely get rid of this install.  I believe this being 64-bit is at least part of the problem.
If it's a 64-bit machine then install a 64-bit version of Linux.
Clearly your original install is borked in some way, but 32-bit systems
are going to disappear at some point, if they haven't already.

You mentioned in the title that you are looking at replacing Gnome with KDE, rather than actually doing that have you considered installing KDE as an addon, which then enables you to select, at the login screen where you need to supply your userid and password (assuming you are not booting directly into the desktop without being prompted for this information) you can select which of the two desktops you actually want to boot into, so you can switch backwards and forwards between to two if you want to?

regards,

Steve

poc