Re: To replace fc27 Gnome with KDE spin?

On 02/16/2018 04:30 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:

>>> I've never met this "hold Fn key on any of the other machines I've had.
>> On my keyboard (a Logitech) it's the other way round, i.e. the orange
>> Fn key selects special functions such as volume control, while the
>> function keys themselves work directly, so I guess there are lots of
>> ways to do this.
>
> There are lots of ways, I've seen laptops with a blue Fn key to activate
> the function keys and numeric keypad, and also have an orange key to
> activate special functions. I'm using a desktop with a microsoft
> keyboard, which has separate keys for volume, mute and play/pause
> controls and even a key for a calculator, but by default none of them
> work under linux and I've never investigated what needs to be done to
> get them to work, even if it is possible.

If it's a Logitech Wave, I have some of them working under XFCE:

1. Go to "Applications->Settings->Keyboard"
2. Select the "Application Shortcuts" tab
3. Click on the "Add" button. In the popup, put in the path to the
   command to run and click "OK".
4. Next, press the key on the keyboard to tie to it.

For example, I have "pragha" tied to the musical notes button. "pragha
-t" (play/pause) tied to the play/pause button, "pragha -n" (next) tied
to the fast forward button, "pragha -p" (previous) to the rewind button,
etc. See "man pragha" for details on its flags. You can assign amixer
commands to for the volume up and volume down buttons, and so on.

You can use "showkey" to see which keycodes each key generates (if any).

>                                                I'm also thinking of
> converting to a razor gaming keyboard to match my razor gaming mouse
> (the mouse doesn't work properly under linux with the interfaces that
> need to be downloaded, the kernel driver needed to with bluetooth works
> fine but the apps don't, and I'm yet to determine whether its an issue
> with the apps or the bus which they use (the apps function via the bus
> and work fine with the mouse when its on usb but not when its on
> bluetooth) where the keyboard has a vastly different setup again.

Can't speak to that. Bluetooth on Linux has been problematic to me as
well--probably because I really don't grok the various profiles
available, nor how to manipulate them to my liking.

[snipped the rest of the message]