Re: graphic host on cli server?

On Sat, 2018-01-20 at 10:49 +0000, Morgan Read wrote:
> Apologies Patrick: Morgan and mstuff... are one and the same - I'm still getting to grips with this web interpretation of a mail list, updating 'profile' on the go...  That might have caused some confusion where i was coming from.

I did notice they were the same. My comment was more about the quoting
style, but as I see you're using HyperKitty I don't know if that can be
fixed.

> > I'll repeat: the *X server* is the machine with the display...
>
> Yes, the host sever is on a real hardware machine which is not running any apps that require a graphic display - but of course do require text display; on the same hardware there are virtual client graphic appliance machines which do require graphic display; the hardware includeds a display with graphics capability
>
> From what you say, it seems inevitable that I need X on the host server (despite it not running any apps that require it) in order to serve that X to the virtual clients which are running apps that require graphics display. Thus, my server is essentially a workstation?

No. You need the X libraries on the host so the clients (i.e. the apps)
can run, as they make calls to X functions such as drawing or reading
the cursor position, but these are *remote* calls to the X server
running on the machine with the physical display, keyboard and mouse.
You do *not* need to run an instance of the X server itself on the host
machine, and the presence of graphics hardware on the host doesn't
change anything as it will not be used.

All of this is exactly what happens on a 'full workstation' (e.g. a
typical Linux desktop machine), except that the clients and X server
happen to be on the same hardware. In your case you simply tell the
apps (usually via the $DISPLAY environment variable) where the display
is located and everything else should Just Work.

(NB: that as the X protocol is not very secure, it's strongly
recommended to tunnel the connection over SSH. There are multiple
references on the web telling you how to do this).

poc