Re: Old peeve still in 27

On 01/19/2018 09:48 AM, Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:19:25 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> On 01/19/18 02:41, Beartooth wrote:
>>> but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm hoping someone here will tell me
>>> there's a file on each PC that I can just paste the above into: most of
>>> it is Geek to me.
>>
>> Along with looking at https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/EDID/
>>
>> as pointed to by Tom, you should also look at
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/
> kernel_mode_setting#Forcing_modes_and_EDID
>>
>> Basically, because you have a KVM that doesn't relay the EDID data from
>> the monitor to the kernel faithfully you'll need to override it.  The
>> link above gives information on how to do that.  The hard part can be
>> getting the actual EDID information from your monitor to place in
>> /usr/lib/firmware/edid .
>
> 	I did cd /usr/lib/firmware, followed by ls|grep edid -- first as
> user, and then as root. No hits either way. Does that mine is elsewhere?
> Or that its absence *is* the problem?
>
> 	If the latter, can I simply put the kernel.org file into /usr/lib/
> firmware? And uncomment -- what? All of it?
>
>> I only have experience doing that with nVidia
>> binary drivers where it is easy to do with their nvidia-settings
>> utility.  There is a monitor-edid package available which supplies
>> monitor-get-edid which may or may not work.  If you install it, you'll
>> probably find it gets a selinux error which you can fix easily.  But it
>> won't work for me after that but that may be due to my choice of
>> drivers.
>
> 	Remember I know precious little (beyond the jargon -- I'm a
> linguist, after all). Messing with anything kernel-related OR selinux-
> related sounds to me like a minefield for fools. "Here, hold my beer ...."
>
>> Anyway, something like this happened to me quite some time ago.  I found
>> the least painful thing to do was to research and then go out and buy a
>> good KVM.  I no longer have the need for KVM so I can't recommend a
>> product.  But that is what I would do. Not only would it solve the
>> problem for me with the least amount of pain/effort I wouldn't have to
>> go through the same process in the event of a fresh install or another
>> reason.
>
> 	That sounds best for me, too; so I have asked my go-to LUG. Many
> many thanks!!

I wouldn't use a Belkin KVM, regardless of what your LUG might say. They
have shown themselves to be quite unreliable.

If all the machines are on the same LAN and your primary concern is
simply sharing the keyboard and mouse (and can live with multiple
monitors), then I'd recommend using synergy. You run synergys (server)
on the primary machine with a config file that defines how the screens
are physically configured (e.g. primary machine is "X", "Y" is to the
left of "X", and "Z" is to the right of "X"). Sample: