Re: Old peeve still in 27

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:19:25 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 01/19/18 02:41, Beartooth wrote:
>> but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm hoping someone here will tell me
>> there's a file on each PC that I can just paste the above into: most of
>> it is Geek to me.
>
> Along with looking at https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/EDID/
>
> as pointed to by Tom, you should also look at
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/
kernel_mode_setting#Forcing_modes_and_EDID

> Basically, because you have a KVM that doesn't relay the EDID data from
> the monitor to the kernel faithfully you'll need to override it.  The
> link above gives information on how to do that.  The hard part can be
> getting the actual EDID information from your monitor to place in
> /usr/lib/firmware/edid .

	I did cd /usr/lib/firmware, followed by ls|grep edid -- first as
user, and then as root. No hits either way. Does that mine is elsewhere?
Or that its absence *is* the problem?

	If the latter, can I simply put the kernel.org file into /usr/lib/
firmware? And uncomment -- what? All of it?

> I only have experience doing that with nVidia
> binary drivers where it is easy to do with their nvidia-settings
> utility.  There is a monitor-edid package available which supplies
> monitor-get-edid which may or may not work.  If you install it, you'll
> probably find it gets a selinux error which you can fix easily.  But it
> won't work for me after that but that may be due to my choice of
> drivers.

	Remember I know precious little (beyond the jargon -- I'm a
linguist, after all). Messing with anything kernel-related OR selinux-
related sounds to me like a minefield for fools. "Here, hold my beer ...."

> Anyway, something like this happened to me quite some time ago.  I found
> the least painful thing to do was to research and then go out and buy a
> good KVM.  I no longer have the need for KVM so I can't recommend a
> product.  But that is what I would do. Not only would it solve the
> problem for me with the least amount of pain/effort I wouldn't have to
> go through the same process in the event of a fresh install or another
> reason.

	That sounds best for me, too; so I have asked my go-to LUG. Many
many thanks!!
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.