Re: Samba version woes

On Mon, 2018-01-15 at 11:07 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 14Jan2018 23:25, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On further study, I strongly suspect my mods to the config file are
> > being overwritten on reboot. Apparently the NAS has firmware that
> > restores basic stuff from a read-only partition on booting.
>
> Does it have a persistent rc.local or cron (thinking @reboot here)? We've got a
> PVR with that kind of behaviour (custom hacks vanishing on reboot).

It's sneakier than that. Much of the root filesystem, including the
directory where the default apps live, is read-only. I've tried
remounting rw as a loopback to make changes but haven't quite got it
right yet. Something else seems to be going on.

> > This will
> > require some hackery to sort out, but doesn't seem to be anything
> > directly related to Samba (nor to Fedora of course), so I won't pursue
> > it here for now.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
>
> As a final suggestion, have you got a home linux server that's always on? If
> you get nowhere with Samba on the NAS, there's always NFS from the NAS to your
> server, then Samba from there. That way you'd have control over the Samba
> software.

I only have my desktop, but that would be Plan C. The irony is that I'm
using Samba purely because I need a backup for my Windows VM, which is
running on the same desktop.

Plan B is to jigger Windows 10 to accept SMB1 as it used to before the
recent updates. I'm aware of the risks but apparently it's possible.

Plan D is to junk the thing and loot it for the drives (I've already
replaced the original Seagates, both of which failed, with two decent
1TB WD units). Realistically I don't think I need a NAS any more. It
used to be my media server but got too slow for that so now it's just a
backup server. I might just stick the drives in my main machine in a
RAID format and keep using them for backup.

poc