Re: NetworkManager-wait-online is still utterly, and completely, broken

Justin Moore writes:

I interpret "-s" to mean "all interfaces are active but do not necessarily have an address or a default route". This means that NM will return success

What does it mean for an interface that has a static IP address explicitly specified in its ifcfg file to be "active", but not have that IP address?

The problem with the former is that it can return before your system can reach the outside world (e.g., interface is up but doesn't have a DHCP-

The interface in question has a static IP address. DHCP is not in the picture.

But an argument can be made that even if a network interface is configured via DHCP, then it's not "active" until it succeeds in acquiring an IP address. But that's besides the point, because these are simple, garden variety, static IP addresses. Can be any simpler than that.

Furthermore, I distinctly recall incidents where something got fubared with my DHCP server, and I had to drink a cup of coffee before other servers finished booting.

It's been my experience that NetworkManager most definitely puts the brakes on booting the server if dhclient can't get an IP address.

So, given that it throws a tantrum if dhclient can't get an IP address, I'm quite puzzled that it also just blows past an network port with a static IP address, but before it is fully configured with that IP address. This does not compute.

assigned address). The problem with the latter is that if your system has multiple interfaces, as soon as *one* of them has an address and a route, NM says all is well and continues, *even if that interface can't reach the

That's not how the nm-online man page describes the -s option. If that's not what the -s option does, then I have no idea what it's supposed to be doing.

along before my actual network interface got an address. This caused issues with various services, and -- if you check the mythtv-users archives -- you'll see that the systemd people's response was "working as intended, that's a bug in mythtv and the other pieces of software which don't adapt to network interfaces which appear and disappear randomly."

Well, I wouldn't really expect any less flippant or arrogant response there, this does not surprise me. But that's not important.

What is important, is that it's an inescapable conclusion that the only workable solution for this mess is something on the order of my script that routes around the damage, and beats systemd in submission. It's horribly ugly, I'm embarassed that I actually had write such a clunker, but it seems to actually makes network-online.target do what it's supposed to be doing in the first place, but is apparently too complicated for either systemd, or NetworkManager, to do correctly on their own.

So be it. Life's too short.