Re: Samba support fails in F27

On 11/28/2017 03:51 PM, Temlakos wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> After several days of fruitless effort I have to bring this to the
> community. Since I upgraded to F27, I have never been able to sustain
> any viable network connection to other computers on my network that run
> Windows 10. Which means if I ever have to transfer files between or
> among them, I have to use USB flash drives or even USB-connectable
> moveable HDD's.
>
> Now I suppose I could buy a spare Western Digital Passport for this
> application. But I would like to know what I'm missing.
>
> For the record:
>
> The computer I'm typing this on, that runs F27, presently has a wireless
> connection to the network. I hope, within the next two months, to move
> to an environment where I can connect this computer to the network using
> a MoCA adapter, a switch in the room, and a coaxial connector in the
> wall to connect this computer, a printer, and maybe a laptop if I bring
> it into the same room. That never used to make any difference, but yes,
> I'm going to try to "remedy" that "fault" (if anyone here chooses to
> find fault with using a wireless connection).
>
> The Samba workgroup is named Home. That's case-sensitive.
>
> I have User authentication on the Samba server.
>
> I created Samba user accounts for every Fedora user account on this
> machine--all three of them.
>
> With F26, I could always look up Home under Samba Shares and find it.
> But now--nothing. And even specifying Home gets a not-found-here kind of
> message.
>
> The Services application shows that both smb and nmb are running.
>
> So what's wrong, where might the fault lie, and how do I correct it?

By default, F27 now uses SMB 3.0x. If your server is SMB 1.0, try
specifying "vers=1.0" in the mount command, e.g.:

	mount -t cifs -o username=$user,password=$password,vers=1.0
//winsrvr/share /mnt

Not sure if they autonegotiate well or not. M$ has always hidden that
stuff fairly well and Samba is a reverse-engineered solution.