Re: HP Intel i5-8250U laptop - No audio

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 07:38:27 -0600
Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just installed F27 (dual booting with Win 10 that came with it) on
> my wife's new laptop and everything seemed fine until she told me the
> sound wasn't working.
>
> I checked the usual stuff, that it was configured properly in
> gnome-control-center and it showed that the speakers were selected and
> configured for "Analog Stereo Duplex". I even installed pavucontrol
> and looked there and everything seems fine. Volume sliders are not at
> 0% (actually close to 100%)
>
> Pulseaudio is running...
>
> Alsa seems happy:

[snip]

> Anyone else having this problem before I put in a bugzilla ticket? At
> this point I'm not sure which component to assign it to.

Not having the problem, but some things you could try.

First, bring up alsamixer and make sure that everything is enabled and
levels are fine. I think the results you showed mean that, but doesn't
hurt to check.

If that passes, then start pavucontrol.  In a terminal, start playing a
reasonably long wav file to give yourself time, and type

aplay -D plughw:0,0 [wav file name]

If there is still no sound, flip back to pavucontrol.  Are the meters
moving?  i.e.  is sound being generated by alsa, reaching pulse, but not
reaching the speakers?

If aplay doesn't complain, or there is sound showing in pulse, it means
this is a configuration problem.  Something is set incorrectly, so the
sound isn't reaching the speakers.

If aplay fails, there is something wrong with the driver that was
loaded for your sound device.  It might be that the sound device is new,
and is defaulting to a driver that isn't correct for it.  Definitely
time for a bugzilla against alsa.