Re: Logitech Gaming Wireless Headset with PulseAudio Ouput

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 14:15:32 -0700
stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 19:15:05 +1100
> Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi stan, Ed replied in another thread that he found some info that
> > says that Logitech software is required to get the functionality
> > which is not available for Linux, so it looks like surround won't
> > work.
> >
> > I issued the command aplay -Lv and I've put the output below. The
> > output snippet I've supplied seems to be indicating that it thinks
> > the headset is capable of surround sound, but I'm not sure if I'm
> > interpreting the information correctly.
> >

> > sysdefault:CARD=Headset
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      Default Audio Device
> > front:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      Front speakers
> > surround21:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
> > surround40:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> > surround41:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> > surround50:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> > surround51:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer
> > speakers surround71:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer
> > speakers iec958:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
> >      G533 Gaming Headset, USB Audio
> >      IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
>
> That's how I would interpret it.  I also have a usb sound device, and
> I get that 7.1 entry, so it might just be generic to usb.  It's easy
> to check.  Run the command
> aplay -lv
> and it should give you the subdevice to access the 7.1 on the headset,
> as counter intuitively a device [digit] output.
>
> e.g.card 2: Revolution51 [M Audio Revolution-5.1], device 1: ICE1724
> IEC958 [ICE1724 IEC958]
>
> If there isn't one for 7.1 for the headset, then it is just a generic
> template for usb devices, and you are out of luck.  That's what I get
> for my usb device.
>
> If there is one, then put on the headset, and play a wav file with the
> following command.  It has to be wav because aplay doesn't have any
> decoding logic.  You could probably use sox to convert something if
> you don't have a wav file.
>
> aplay -D plughw:0,[subdevice number goes here] [wav file name]
>
> e.g. aplay -D plughw:0,6 pretty_song.wav
>
> You could try different numbers from 0 through 7 as the second digit,
> regardless of the aplay results,  to see if there is any difference in
> sound. One of them is likely to be IEC958 output, which is digital, so
> will not be pleasant on your ears.

> [...]

I did some searching on this because I have an interest in a
functioning generic hrtf library in linux for something else, and I
found this post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/2ot5ov/enable_system_wide_hrtf_with_pulseaudio/

I haven't tried it yet, and it is a few years old, but if it works, it
would allow your g533 headset to be used as a virtual 5.1 in linux.  It
might be that there are enhancements to 7.1 more recently in the pulse
hrtf plugin.  I haven't checked yet.