Re: F26: Print from gnome is not respect cups directive 'ErrorPolicy retry-job'

I have configure my two USB home printers via https://localhost:631

> Running a central printer server for several clients requires a few
> things:
>
> The print server's configuration needs to be set up to share its
> printers.  From the CUPs configuration at <http://localhost:631/>,
> you need to go into the "administration" section and select the"share
> printers connected to this system" option, then click on the "change
> settings" form button to save that change.

Yes, my cups server (igloo) is configured like you suggest.

    [    lesca@igloo     ~]$ sudo cupsctl
    [sudo] password di lesca:
    _debug_logging=0
    _remote_admin=0
    _remote_any=1
    _share_printers=1
    _user_cancel_any=1
    BrowseLocalProtocols=dnssd
    DefaultAuthType=Basic
    JobPrivateAccess=default
    JobPrivateValues=default
    MaxLogSize=0
    PageLogFormat=
    SubscriptionPrivateAccess=default
    SubscriptionPrivateValues=default
    WebInterface=Yes

Note the flag _remote_admin=0 and _remote_any=1

Remote admin is disable but if I try to connect to http://igloo:631/
from my notebook (dodo) I can connect to it and configure any token and
printers.

I also try to enable remote any but nothing is change.

> This makes the server publish its printers to clients, and should
> make the server listen for connections on all LAN interfaces.

Yes, my server is accessible on 631/tcp port and is bind on all
interface.

    [    lesca@igloo     ~]$ sudo netstat -natup |grep 631
    [sudo] password di lesca:
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      6871/cupsd
    tcp6       0      0 :::631                  :::*                    LISTEN      6871/cupsd

> On the server, the firewall must be opened for ports 631 for TCP and
> UDP traffic.

The firewall is open on port 631/TCP, but the port 631/UDP ? ... what
is it for?

Only if I start cups-browsed there is a 631/udp port listening on all
server IP, but this service is only useful on the client, on the server
is not necessary, from man page:

    "cups-browsed - A daemon for browsing the Bonjour broadcasts of
    shared, remote CUPS printers"

On my printers server do not want "broadcasts of shared, remote CUPS
printers". This is what I try to do on Client.

On printers server I want share two printers and this printer are
shared:

    [    root@igloo     ~]# grep -E '(Printer|Shared)' /etc/cups/printers.conf
    # Printer configuration file for CUPS v2.2.2
    <DefaultPrinter Cups-PDF>
    MakeModel Generic CUPS-PDF Printer
    Shared No
    </DefaultPrinter>
    <Printer HP_Deskjet_5900>
    Location Local Printer
    Shared Yes
    </Printer>
    <Printer Samsung_ML-1710>
    Location Local Printer
    Shared Yes
    </Printer>

> If you're using the firewall configuration GUI

Thanks for your explanation but my firewalld is off, I use shorewall
and the all port/proto are open for all PC into my lan to cups server.

> You should enable and start the cups service,

Yes, all the necessary cups services are enabled and start:

    [    root@igloo     ~]# systemctl list-unit-files |grep ^cups
    cups.path                                   enabled
    cups-browsed.service                        disabled
    cups.service                                enabled
    cups.socket                                 enabled

>  and I can't recall whether you also need to do the same with the
> cups-browsed service, the following commands will do it (as root or
> using sudo):
>
> systemctl enable cups
> systemctl start cups
> systemctl enable cups-browsed
> systemctl start cups-browsed

Only cups-browsed is not start on server, it's not necessary, and also
if I try start this service, none printer is pushed to my client.

>                  -----------------------------------
>
> On the clients, the firewall must be opened for ports 631 using UDP
> traffic.

On the client firewalld and SElinux are disabled, then all ports is
open.

> You should not have to set up any printers on the clients, they
> should simply find the printers offered by the server, and you can
> select which one to print to when you want to print something.  You
> can, optionally, preset one as the default printer.  And your
> programs would print to it, by default, if you don't choose another
> printer.
>
> NB:  If you start setting up printers on the clients (e.g. selecting
> drivers, etc.), then you lose the convenience of having a central
> server, and have to individually set up each printer on the client,
> including all the special options that you want.
>
> But for the automatic printer discovery, you should enable and start
> the cups service, *and* the cups-browsed service, the following
> commands will do it (as root or using sudo):
>
> systemctl enable cups
> systemctl start cups
> systemctl enable cups-browsed
> systemctl start cups-browsed
>
> As best as I can recall, that's all I've had to do.  Forgetting the
> cups-browsed service is what always catches me.  There's no reminder
> about that when you're reading the CUPs options in the web browser.

On my client all this service is enabled and start and I have do
anythings you suggest.

    [    root@dodo    :~]# systemctl list-unit-files |grep ^cups
    cups.path                                                        enabled
    cups-browsed.service                                             enabled
    cups.service                                                     enabled
    cups.socket                                                      enabled

This is the point: all what you suggest are done, but none printers are
pushed from server to my client.

If I power on the old server with Fedora 19, and connect it to my lan,
all printers on this old server are pushed to my client, without change
nothing on client.

This is all. I no longer know what to try to do to solve my problem

Many thanks for you help.

--
Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 26 Workstation)