Re: F26: Print from gnome is not respect cups directive 'ErrorPolicy retry-job'

Since this is an offshoot of your thread, I'm responding separately.

Tim:
>> If so, how are your clients set up?
>> Have you let them auto-discover the server and not hand-configured
>> the clients?  (The server's configuration should handle all of
>> this.)
>>
>> Have you manually set up printer queues on each client PC?  (You
>> need to tweak everything on every PC, when done that way.)

Dario Lesca:
> This is another issue, which has been happening since I updated the
> server workstation from Fedora 19 to Fedora 26.
>
> For now all my two Fedora 26 client cannot print in any way on the
> workstation/server Fedora 26, I have try many solution to resolve
> this problem ... but for now I still have not resolved.
>
> On server I have share in many way all printers, but all client
> cannot see these printer. Before fedora 26, on this workstation there
> was Fedora 19, all printers configured on it, were accessible by all
> clients automatically.
>
> And If I configure manually on client some printers (which are
> accessible via https://ip:631/printers/printer1), the printer from
> client not work.
> For now I bypass this annoying problem to produce a pdf on client,
> copy it on workstation/server and print it from it.
> But thi is another problem, if someone have some suggest let me know

Firstly, things can be easier, or more consistent, if you only use one
method of configuring printing, such as the CUPs webserver interface,
rather than a desktop tool.

Running a central printer server for several clients requires a few
things:

The print server's configuration needs to be set up to share its
printers.  From the CUPs configuration at <http://localhost:631/>, you
need to go into the "administration" section and select the "share
printers connected to this system" option, then click on the "change
settings" form button to save that change.  If you have a non-english
installation, CUPs will probably use your own language, and you'll need
to find the same features with similar descriptions.

This makes the server publish its printers to clients, and should make
the server listen for connections on all LAN interfaces.

On the server, the firewall must be opened for ports 631 for TCP and
UDP traffic.

If you're using the firewall configuration GUI this will mean allowing
the IPP service (older configurators listed them as some form of "print
server" and "print client").  There's also a zone configuration, where
you can preset some different configurations for the firewall (home use
with relaxed firewalls, public use with tight firewals, etc.).  Meaning
you can set up some rules beforehand for those situations, and change
the whole lot of rules just by changing zones.  Be aware that the
configurator has two ways of working, runtime and permanent.  The
runtime mode will change settings now, as you try them, but not save
them as permanent settings.  The permanent mode will do both, together
(set rules and save them).

You should enable and start the cups service, and I can't recall
whether you also need to do the same with the cups-browsed service, the
following commands will do it (as root or using sudo):

systemctl enable cups
systemctl start cups
systemctl enable cups-browsed
systemctl start cups-browsed

                 -----------------------------------

On the clients, the firewall must be opened for ports 631 using UDP
traffic.

If you're using the firewall configurator GUI, this will mean allowing
the IPP-client service.

You should not have to set up any printers on the clients, they should
simply find the printers offered by the server, and you can select
which one to print to when you want to print something.  You can,
optionally, preset one as the default printer.  And your programs would
print to it, by default, if you don't choose another printer.

NB:  If you start setting up printers on the clients (e.g. selecting
drivers, etc.), then you lose the convenience of having a central
server, and have to individually set up each printer on the client,
including all the special options that you want.

But for the automatic printer discovery, you should enable and start
the cups service, *and* the cups-browsed service, the following
commands will do it (as root or using sudo):

systemctl enable cups
systemctl start cups
systemctl enable cups-browsed
systemctl start cups-browsed

As best as I can recall, that's all I've had to do.  Forgetting the
cups-browsed service is what always catches me.  There's no reminder
about that when you're reading the CUPs options in the web browser.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.12.14-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 20 16:28:07 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Ha ha ha ha...
(I couldn't think of a good joke, so I supplied a laugh track, instead.)

.